Four more accuse employee of Columbia school for the deaf of sexual abuse

Four more people said they were sexually abused in the case against an aide at the Maryland School for the Deaf in Columbia, according to court records.

Clarence Cepheus Taylor, 37, of the 2500 block of Hallam Court in Baltimore County, was indicted on seven counts of sexual abuse of a minor, all felonies, by a Howard County Grand Jury this week.


Taylor, who was a dorm aide working the evening shift during the time the incidents have been reported to have occurred, was originally charged with three counts of sexual abuse of minor when he was arrested by Howard County Police in December.

Taylor's defense attorney said the allegations against the employee, who is deaf, are "preposterous."


"Mr. Taylor adamantly denies these accusations, they are without merit and are causing this young man great anguish," Mead said. "He and his wife have worked for a number of years at the Maryland School for the Deaf without incident and he hopes to eventually return to his job, where he was well respected."

Howard County Times: Top stories

Howard County Times: Top stories


Daily highlights from Howard County's number one source for local news.

Police began investigating Taylor after one of the seven alleged victims told a teacher about the incidents after learning she may not have been the only one.

According to police, the three who originally stepped forward, now ages 15 and 16, told police that Taylor touched them inappropriately on multiple occasions while they were overnight students at the school, located in the 8100 block of Old Montgomery Road.

Police said one girl reported Taylor would hug her and rub his hand across her breast in the hallway of the school's dormitory. The incidents began when she was 12 and continued one more year, police said.

Two other girls told police Taylor would repeatedly brush their breasts and backside with his hand in the common area of the dorm. They also said Taylor kissed them.  One girl said the incidents occurred when she was between the ages of 10 and 12; the other girl when she was 13.

Police would not release their names because of their age and the nature of the crimes.

Taylor has been released on $75,000 bond, Mead said.