- A man is in critical condition following a shooting near Cedar Lane Park in Columbia late Wednesday night, according to the Howard County Police Department.
- Federal data show that buyouts remain a rare response to floods in Maryland. In the past decade, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has reported fewer than 20 buyouts in the state.
- Howard County Council members were bombarded with pleas on Tuesday night to pass emergency legislation allowing for the disbursement of funds from the Citizens’ Election Fund to candidates in contested county races.
Most popular Maryland
- A new monthly series designed for seniors has begun at Robinson Nature Center. Covering topics such as identifying trees and winter astronomy, the Senior Naturalist program is loosely based on the University of Maryland Extension office’s Master Naturalist Volunteer Training program.
- Maryland’s secretary of the environment pledged to increase staffing levels in parts of his department Tuesday following reports of issues with drinking water and poultry farm inspections.
- Howard County Executive Calvin Ball and Howard County Public School System Superintendent Michael Martirano on Tuesday announced an agreement for the county government and county school system to jointly provide $16.1 million in bonus money to public school employees.
- An Anne Arundel County police corporal returned to duty in January after a Howard County judge placed him on probation before judgment in a case that involved an altercation with police after a May bar fight.
- After several inches of snow followed by a wintry mix, the Baltimore region is getting doused with rain and officials are warning of potentially slick roads due to possible icy conditions.
Howard County photos
- Jill Robshaw French, an equestrian and riding instructor who taught for many years at the Columbia Equestrian Center, died in her sleep following hip surgery Dec. 8 while undergoing rehabilitation at the Broadmead Retirement Community.
- A man being pursued by Howard County police ran a red light in Columbia and crashing into another vehicle in a collision which sent him and three other people, including a child, to the hospital, police said.
- A racist epithet was written on a wall inside Lime Kiln Middle School in Fulton, and school leaders responded Wednesday by saying that the incident was “beyond disappointing and devastating to us,” especially in light of two other recent incidents of racist slurs being used at the school.
- Get a head start on the spring lacrosse season, laugh til your sides hurt at a British comedy classic, listen to smooth jazz or a piano concert or play video games on an IMAX movie screen.
- M&T Bank is transforming 17 Baltimore area branches into a new multicultural banking center format in a bid to expand services in racially and ethnically diverse communities.