- Columbia's Jennifer Whiddon discovered that creating a wreath of baseballs to donate to this year’s Kennedy Krieger’s Festival of Trees event isn't that easy.
- With COVID-19 numbers on the rise, Kay Keyhani decided to offer a free community session in nidra yoga, a practice of yoga that helps individuals cope with stress and anxiety, to promote relaxation and better sleep.
- Gayle and Fred Snyder, who moved in 2011 to enjoy retirement in tax-friendly Delaware, are back in Laurel and back in the Old Town house that has been a part of their family for a century.
Most popular Maryland
Races to Watch
Howard County Board of Education District 1
100% of vote
Howard County Board of Education District 4
100% of vote
Howard County Board of Education District 5
100% of vote
- This year, more than ever, small businesses in Ellicott City truly need our support — their continued existence relies on it.
- This year’s Symphony of Lights drive thru will go forward after a court ruled Wednesday against a request for a preliminary injunction to halt the event. While the ruling clears the way for Wednesday’s start to the Columbia holiday event, the monthslong lawsuit among the parties continues.
- Howard Community College won the New England Collegiate Conference League of Legends championship on Saturday. The title is the first for the Dragons' esports program that was established this fall.
- Throughout the area, there are dozens of local nonprofit groups who are committed to serving those in need. These groups can always use our help, especially now during the pandemic.
- With COVID-19 numbers rising and restrictions constantly changing, the Laurel Main Street Holiday Market scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 28, went from an in-person event to a virtual one just over a week and a half before its scheduled date.
- On Nov. 11, Deb Randall began posting an image a day as part of Venus Theatre’s new initiative, Objects of Survival: Plays of the Pandemic.
Howard County photos
- Since 2009 Bryan Bartlett has used his house and surrounding property to house an elaborate show-stopping holiday light display for any and all to see, this year the Bartlett family and all their fans will take the year off in light of COVID-19 restrictions.
- Columbia-native Greg Whittington, who spent the last four years playing professional basketball internationally, signed a two-way contract with the Denver Nuggets on Tuesday.
- President-elect Joe Biden received a higher share of the vote in Howard County than any presidential candidate in recorded history.
- Lisbon Elementary School PTA assembled and handed out 215 Thanksgiving food baskets to families across Howard County in the last two weeks.
- Howard County Executive Calvin Ball and Maryland first lady Yumi Hogan visited nine several Korean-owned businesses along Route 40 in Ellicott City on Friday that received relief grants tied to CARES Act funding.