- School nurses in the Baltimore area are shouldering pandemic duties on top of their day jobs and are burning out just weeks into the new year.
- This year, the Savage 7K Run and One-Mile Historic Walk are returning to the streets Oct. 17 to benefit the Carroll Baldwin Hall. The race begins at 8 a.m. at the hall and winds through Savage Park, the Patuxent Branch Trail and the streets of Savage.
- A roundup of soccer and volleyball matches in Howard County on Thursday, Sept. 23, 2021.
Most popular Maryland
- Howard County Executive Calvin Ball on Thursday announced the county’s community engagement plan for using the $63.2 million in federal funding allocated to it by the American Rescue Plan to address immediate and long-term challenges as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Saturday’s Walk to End Alzheimer’s at Centennial Park in Ellicott City, with the goal of raising $140,000 to provide Alzheimer’s care, research and support, is the first of six walks sponsored by the Alzheimer’s Association Greater Maryland Chapter.
- For many Howard County parents, students and teachers these past 18 months have been especially grueling, and now it is more important than ever to keep investing in our educational systems.
- More than 200 staff members and students in the Howard County Public School System have tested positive for COVID-19 since the start of the school year, according to a school system official.
Howard County photos
- Busboys and Poets will open its ninth and largest restaurant Oct. 10 in Columbia. The two-story restaurant at 6251 Mango Tree Road is more than 10,000 square feet and features both an outdoor patio on the first floor and a large covered deck on the second floor.
- Standard Industries Holdings, a New York building materials company, said Wednesday that it has completed its $4.6 billion acquisition of W.R. Grace & Co., a Columbia-based specialty chemicals giant.
- Paulo Sousa Lacerda, 55, of Jessup, was arrested Tuesday and charged with five counts of possession of child pornography and three counts of distribution of child pornography after a Maryland State Police Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force investigation.
- For Ellicott City Ballet Guild founder Caryl Maxwell’s 80th birthday, her sister suggested she do something special to mark the milestone. Maxwell knew exactly what she wanted to do: dance.
- "It’s amazing how newspaper opinion writers can conveniently ignore history and its sometimes painfully harsh truths and reality to support their positions. To say that 'perceived inequities and injustices' are not the fault of slavery, Jim Crow and racism (and a bunch of dead old white guys) is simply ludicrous."