- July is typically a hot month for home sales, but rising interest rates and fears of inflation and an economic slowdown threw cold water over the Baltimore region’s once-scorching housing market.
- Maryland has 236 confirmed monkeypox cases, about 2% of the 10,392 cases in the U.S., as of Aug. 10. Last week, the White House declared monkeypox a public health emergency, a move that freed up additional funding and resources to fight the outbreak.
Most popular Maryland
- A full range of 4-H club activities was on display at the 76th Annual Howard County Fair in West Friendship this week.
- Monthly column featuring news and information about people and places in and around Glenwood, Glenelg and Dayton.
- Howard County officials are working to develop a long-range, visionary plan called HoCo by Design that will detail development and conservation in the county through the year 2040.
- County Executive Steuart Pittman selected Howard County attorney and recent political candidate Janssen Evelyn as the first-ever executive director of the county’s recently formed police accountability board.
Howard County photos
- Two new commissions aimed at furthering diversity, equity and inclusion efforts across Howard County were approved late last month by the county council.
- Patricia Owens, a retired Red Cross public relations director who was a potter and accomplished gardener, has died. She was 93 and formerly lived on Guilford Avenue in Charles Village.
- A friendly rivalry between Howard County’s firefighters and police officers took to a new venue this weekend with Farmer Wars, a contest introduced at the 76th annual Howard County Fair in West Friendship Sunday night.
- Thunderstorms left hundreds without power Thursday evening and downed dozens of trees, with rain and outages mainly impacting Northeast Baltimore.
- The 76th annual Howard County Fair will return Saturday to the Howard County Fairgrounds in West Friendship.
- This year has produced a higher number of retirees as compared to past years and Howard County schools has been busy hiring for vacancies this summer, according to spokesperson Brian Bassett.