- With horns consistently honking in the background, about 100 parents and students gathered Thursday afternoon outside the Howard County Board of Education headquarters in Ellicott City to advocate for a plan to get kids back into schools for in-person learning.
- The biggest chunk of the money — $100 million — will be used to create an “emergency rapid response fund” for small businesses, so the state can pivot to help hard-hit areas or industries.
- More Howard County residents are voting via mail ballot in the 2020 general election than almost any county in the state, according to data from the Maryland State Board of Elections.
Most popular Maryland
- Howard County police have identified a body that was found earlier this week in Columbia and are investigating the death as a homicide, the department announced Thursday.
- Howard County voters will have five sites to choose from come the last week of October when in-person early voting starts. Marriotts Ridge High School is the farthest west option Howard early voters will have this year, but it is 10 to 15 miles away from many of the county’s westernmost voters.
- Baltimore City and Baltimore, Anne Arundel, Carroll, Harford and Howard counties have issued their own guidelines for trick-or-treating during the pandemic.
- Roughly 1 in 8 Maryland students have a disability and are guaranteed access to specialized education services by law. But many of those services were altered or cut off when school districts closed buildings in response to the pandemic.
- On Oct. 23, the Little Market Cafe is hosting the Ellicott Silly Comedy Show — Cloned in the courtyard by Tonge Row, off Parking Lot D.
Howard County photos
- In the past week, 90 to 100 of Howard County’s 1,995 election judges have quit, according to the county Board of Elections. Several have cited the rising number of coronavirus cases as a reason.
- As the Howard County school system and the Board of Education are reexamining the school resource officer program, the union for the district’s administrators has put its support behind keeping police in schools.
- Howard County police said they located an adult body in a wooded area near the 6100 block of Old Dobbin Lane in Columbia on Tuesday morning after the department received a tip that there may be a body there.
- The debate over a new cultural arts center in Columbia hit its next phase Monday night as the Howard County Council heard 40 testimonials from individuals and organizations at a legislative public hearing.
- Those who have chosen to live in Howard County want to live in a tolerant community where many different races and nationalities peacefully coexist, not one that promotes fake “law and order,” sells fear and demonizes those who are different.