C. Milton Wright's Corey Bays drives to the basket as Aberdeen's Nyshaun Greene reaches in hoping to knock the ball away during Monday night's playoff game at C. Milton Wright.
C. Milton Wright's Corey Bays drives to the basket as Aberdeen's Nyshaun Greene reaches in hoping to knock the ball away during Monday night's playoff game at C. Milton Wright. (MATT BUTTON AEGIS STAFF / Baltimore Sun Media Group)

Four boys basketball teams advanced in regional playoffs Monday. A handful of others had their seasons end.

C. Milton Wright, Havre de Grace, Patterson Mill and Harford Tech were all winners and play again today (Wednesday). Aberdeen, Edgewood and Joppatowne are done.


At CMW, senior Corey Bays pumped in 32 points to lead the Mustangs (20-3) over visiting Aberdeen, 76-44, in a Class 3A North, Section II semifinal.

Bays scored eight straight points as part of a 10-0 CMW run in the opening quarter that put his team ahead, 13-6, after trailing early, 4-0. The Mustangs led, 16-11, after one quarter.

"I try to give our team as much momentum as possible and get myself involved," Bays said. "I try to be everywhere at one time."

Bays (five assists) and teammate Chris Lorenzo hit back-to-back three pointers to push the lead to 22-11 in the first minute of quarter two. Mehki Willis added a three-point basket for the Eagles and, with the inside play of Jordon Jones (14 points, eight rebounds) and Maurice Carroll (15 points, nine rebounds), the Eagles were able to stay close. The Eagles trailed, 28-22, at the half.

Twice, early in the third quarter, Aberdeen (13-10) cut the lead to three, but the Mustangs blew the game wide open in that same quarter. Lorenzo's second three-pointer pushed the lead to 10, 37-27, and the Mustangs rolled from there. The lead was 19, 51-32, through three quarters.

"We were surprised, we came in with a different game plan," Mustangs coach Jon Stefanides said of the lopsided outcome.

The Mustangs had beaten the Eagles twice earlier in the season, but both were by much closer margins.

Lorenzo finished with 15 and Imran Husain came off the bench to score seven for the Mustangs. Jack Van Syckle led the Mustangs with six rebounds.

"He's tough, I think the kids played good defense, but he made some tough shots," Eagles coach Johnny Brooks said of Bays. "He's a tough kid."

CMW will host Dundalk at 6 p.m. today in the Section II final.

Huskies stun Mariners

Patterson Mill (11-12) pulled off the stunner of the night, beating host and top seed Joppatowne, 51-45, Monday in Class 1A North, Section I semifinal play.

The game was deadlocked at 15-all at halftime.

Tyler Jakubowski led the Huskies with a game-high 20 points. Rahmon Felder added 14 points and Qadir Ismail finished with eight points.


Joppatowne (18-4) got 15 points from Montrell Horsey and 14 more from Dominic Smith.

Warriors beat Panthers

Havre de Grace (17-6) also won in 1A North, Section I play Monday, beating visiting rival Perryville (13-10), 70-57.

Kenneth Sumpter led the winners with 19 points, while Daeshone Codner added the double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds.

Havre de Grace will host Patterson Mill at 6:30 p.m. today in the Section I final.

Cobras beat Tigers

Harford Tech (9-12) moved on in 2A East play, beating host Rising Sun, 74-62, in Section I play. Tech led, 36-27, at the half.

Darius Dangerfield lit the nets up for 32 points, while adding five rebounds and five assists. Dominic Webb added 16 points and Jaylen Kelly scored eight points.

Tech plays at Elkton on Wednesday.

Other score

Also Monday, Edgewood (13-9) lost at Dundalk, 58-39, in 3A North, Section II play. Stats were not provided.

Jones leads Eagles

Aberdeen sophomore Jordon Jones was not in his customary number 23 jersey Friday night, but it didn't seem to have any bearing on his play.

Donning number 20, Jones led the Eagles to an easy Class 3A North, Section II quarterfinal win over visiting Towson (5-14). The final was 76-37.

Jones poured in 27 points, 14 in the first quarter, to push Aberdeen to an early double-digit lead.

"I feel like I can play inside and outside, I'm a versatile player," Jones, a 6-5 forward said. Despite the size, Jones did most of his damage away from the basket and just outside the paint in that first quarter.

"I was feeling good today, hitting shots," he said. "I had to change it up, not staying in the paint the whole game. I had to get outside and shoot, so I could prove the other stuff."

The play of Jones aided Aberdeen's early dominance, putting the Eagles up 22-5 through one quarter.

Towson, which started the game with two blocked shots on defense, didn't have too much to get excited about the rest of the half.

"It's a defeated mentality, we're not from real tough environments, not really used to battles," Towson coach Ali Brown said of his team's effort. "The program's got a long way to go. We're rebuilding from the ground up. We lost seven seniors last year."

Jones (10 rebounds, four blocks) added seven more points in the second quarter, which led to the Eagles taking an comfortable 39-16 lead at the half.

"It's a perfect situation for us, that's what we were hoping for," Aberdeen coach John Brooks said of the dominant start. "We made layups and played good defense. That's usually it for us. If we make our layups, we're usually in the game."

The Eagles poured it on in the third quarter, using a crowd-pleasing 10-0 run to get it started.

Maurice Carroll provided the spark with three straight dunks. The first and most spectacular was an alley-oop slam off the feed from Mehki Willis.

The pair was at it again moments later when Willis saved the ball from the end line to Carroll (13 points, eight rebounds, two blocks), who two-hand slammed it home.

Eli Curry contributed 15 points off the bench for Aberdeen.

Aberdeen outscored the Generals, 25-6, in the third quarter and went to the final quarter leading, 64-22.

Towson did outscore Aberdeen, 15-12, in the final quarter, which was really an exhibition of two teams just playing out the time.

Emanuel Dukes scored six points for the Generals in the fourth quarter and finished with a team-high 11 points.

Alec Pine and Trashawn Samuels scored six points each.

As for the jersey, Jones chuckling said, "I forgot my jersey at home, so one of the guys had an extra jersey I could use. It might have contributed to my good game today."

Rams beat Patapsco

Edgewood advanced in 3A North, Section II as well, beating visiting Patapsco, 73-46.

The Rams pulled away after leading by just two, 27-25, at halftime.

Rocceon Harrison led the Rams with 18 points, two rebounds and three steals. David Velasquez and Tyrone McKisset (10 rebounds) both scored 17 points.

Huskies move on

Patterson Mill moved on in 1A North, Section I play, beating visiting Chesapeake Science Point, 61-39. The Huskies led 30-11 at half.

Qadir Ismail scored 16 points to pace three Huskies in double figures. Rahmon Felder added 14 points and Tyler Jakubowski scored 11.

Other scores

In 4A North, Section I, Bel Air (4-15) lost at Dulaney, 93-45; North Harford (0-22) lost at Dundalk, 76-35, in 3A North, Section II; and in 2A East, Section I, Fallston (7-16) fell to visiting North East, 56-43.