Four Harford boys basketball teams still eyeing region titles

Four Harford County boys basketball teams are still alive for region titles after Monday night’s section semifinal play.

C. Milton Wright, Harford Tech, Joppatowne and Havre de Grace were all in the win column and all will be back in action Wednesday.


In Fountain Green, aided by a 12-2 first quarter run, CMW pulled away early to beat visiting Aberdeen, 77-40, in Class 3A, Section II play.

The Mustangs (18-3) trailed 3-0 and 5-2 early, but Aberdeen (8-12) ran into foul trouble and the defense of CMW made it hard on the Eagles offensively.

“We tried to run something defensively that kind of encouraged them [Aberdeen] not push it too, fast and then we really focused on their shooters,” CMW coach Jon Stefanides said. “They’ve got three of them and those three shooters are all over the place."

One of the three, senior Jaquane Hayes nailed a three-pointer to open the scoring, but the Eagles made just two more baskets the rest of the quarter.

For the Mustangs, senior Brye Hopkins scored the team’s first 10 points to keep the Mustangs in it. The lead grew to 16-6 with a minute left in the quarter and Aberdeen called timeout. In the final minute, Aberdeen outscored CMW, 4-2, to trail, 18-10.

“We knew coming out it was going to be hard, the Eagles got a real good win versus Kenwood,” Hopkins said. “So, we were the underdogs in this one and it's going to be like that the rest of the way.”

C. Milton Wright's Brye Hopkins pulls down a rebound between Aberdeen players, Tyrell Williams, left, and Marcellus Carroll, during Monday's playoff game.
C. Milton Wright's Brye Hopkins pulls down a rebound between Aberdeen players, Tyrell Williams, left, and Marcellus Carroll, during Monday's playoff game. (MATT BUTTON/THE AEGIS / Baltimore Sun Media Group)

The Mustangs scored five quick points to begin the second quarter to push the lead back to double digits, 23-10. Mo Whitley’s three, his only basket, made it 23-13, but Jordan Stiemke came off the CMW bench and his three-point shot made it, 29-14.

With 2:20 left in the half, the lead was, 31-15. Aberdeen's Hayes scored five straight to bring the Eagles back to within 11, 31-20.

CMW coach Stefanides called timeout to slow the Eagles down. The Mustangs scored the final basket of the half to lead 33-20 at half.

“They came out strong and wanted it more than we did. I got to give credit to C. Milton Wright and the rest of the staff, they did a good job coaching,” Hayes said. “They (CMW staff) knew we were very athletic, so they wanted to stop us from getting into the paint."

Any designs the Eagles had of maybe getting back in it in the third quarter were quickly erased. The Mustangs opened the quarter with a 9-2 run, led by senior guard Jalen Jackson.

Jackson knocked down back-to-back three-pointers and scored eight straight points as the Mustangs blew the game open, leading, 52-25.

Jackson scored 14 in the quarter and finished with a game-high 18 points. The Mustangs were ahead comfortably, 59-28, at the end of three quarters. In the quarter, though, Hopkins (15 points) left the game with a thigh injury. “I was coming off a drive and he kneed me in the thigh,” Hopkins said. “I'll be fine by tomorrow.”

Without Hopkins and the other starters, CMW was still able to outscore Aberdeen in the final quarter, 18-12.


Qunicy Haughton scored 12 points for the Mustangs and also had five assists and two blocks. Corey Patterson added eight points and eight rebounds. Bryan Stiemke also scored eight points.

“Not getting out in transition, we slowed down and that's what they wanted us to do, slow down,” Eagles coach Brandon Selby said. “When they run their 1-3-1 zone, it covers the entire court and it's hard to beat. When we slowed down in transition, that stopped everything.”

Hayes led Aberdeen with 17 points, including four three-point baskets.

CMW will host Dundalk in Wednesday’s section final. Time to be determined.

Warriors top Huskies

Havre de Grace (22-0) stayed unbeaten with an 70-54 win over visiting Patterson Mill (12-12) in 1A East, section I play.

The Warriors jumped ahead early and lead 32-18 midway through the second quarter. The lead had ballooned to 52-25 just two minutes into the third quarter, but the Huskies went on a 19-5 run to bring gap back to within 13, 57-44, with 5:30 left to play.

Havre de Grace, though, maintained the lead and settled in for the 16-point win.

Marlon Lewis led the winners with 25 points and eight rebounds. Gary Gibson added 16 points and Jordan White had 11 points and eight rebounds.

Patterson Mill’s Nathan Roussey led all scorers with 28 points. Connor Madsen added nine.

Havre de Grace will host Joppatowne in Wednesday’s section final. Game time is 7 p.m.

Mariners win

Joppatowne (13-6) beat visiting Coppin Academy, 79-58, in 1A East play.

DeAnthony Creighton’s double-double of 27 points and 12 rebounds led the Mariners.

Christian Corley added 19 points and seven assists and Jalen Morris had 17 points and 10 boards.

Alan Brown added 14 points.

Cobras beat Hawks

Harford Tech (14-8) won 69-40 over visiting North Harford (9-13) in 2A East, section I play.

The Cobras were down five at the half (28-23), but they started to have some success with full-court pressure in the second half.

That led to steals and some transition buckets.

Jalen Dangerfield’s 13 points paced three Cobras in double figures. Curtis McKisset and TJ Lowery, Jr. scored 10 points apiece. RJ Hinton, Jr. added eight points and Laday Cooper netted seven.

Paul Keeney and Sam Macatee had 14 points each in their final games as North Harford Hawks.

The Cobras will play at Elkton in Wednesday’s section final. Game time is 7 p.m.

Elks beat Cougars

Fallston (3-21) fell at Elkton (17-3), 78-58, in 2A East action.

“For the most part we did a decent job forcing them into some tough shots, but we got killed on the offensive glass. They’re big and they can jump and we just didn’t do a good enough job boxing out,” Cougars coach Brian Hulka said.

Connor Disharoon led the Cougars scoring with 14 points. Keith Edwards added 10 points ands six rebounds and Alex Flasch also scored 10.

Alex Kakoullis and Andrew Noyes added six points each.

Rams lose

Edgewood (7-12) saw its season end with a 71-35 loss at Dundalk in 3A North play,.

Saturday’s openers

In Class 1A East, Patterson Mill went on the road to beat Colonel Richardson, 65-62. “Great game by both teams,” Huskies coach Jeroud Clark said.

The Huskies led 27-20 at half and after six lead changes in the third period alone, the Huskies were down five with 1:33 to play in the game.

The Huskies had the lead down to two with :30 remaining and an Alair Lewis (six points) three-point basket put the Huskies ahead for the win.

Kyle Luddy led the scoring with 20 points, while Connor Madsen added 17 and Roussey netted 12.

Havre de Grace rolled past visiting Bo Manor (5-15), 70-42, Saturday evening.

Lewis’ double-double led the way. He finished with 22 points and 12 rebounds. TJ Turner added 15 points and Quentin Ware had 10 points and eight rebounds.

Also, Joppatowne advanced in 1A East, beating visiting Perryville (6-15), 78-63.


Creighton had 20 points and 14 rebounds to pace the Mariners. Morris added 19 points and Corley netted 17. Brown chipped in with 10 points.

Class 2A East

Both North Harford and Fallston advanced with wins over Cecil County opponents.

North Harford beat visiting North East (4-18), 48-15, after leading, 25-2, at the half.

Macatee had 13 points, nine rebounds and three blocks for the Hawks, while Keeney added 12 points, seven rebounds and four assists.

Austin Smith contributed seven points and 12 boards, while Dylan Jablon had a great defensive effort, noted Hawks coach Jeff Burrows.

Fallston won at Rising Sun (4-11), 57-44. The Cougars led at the half, 26-20.

“Tough, physical game and I’m proud of the way we responded. We went through some cold stretches offensively, but the intensity on defense and on the glass never wavered,” Cougars coach Brian Hulka said. “Great perimeter defense from Connor Disharoon and Kendall Outing was key to victory.”

Kakoullis led the scoring with 20 points, while Alex Flasch and Disharoon added 12 points each. Outing chipped in with six points.

Class 3A North

Aberdeen and Edgewood both advanced in 3A North.

Aberdeen won at Kenwood, 53-52, in overtime Saturday afternoon. Aberdeen led 23-16 at the half and the game was tied 48 all at the end of regulation.

Senior guard Hayes (12 points, four assists) made a layup with 5.1 seconds left in OT to put Aberdeen up 53-52 and in the win column.

Tyrell Williams led the Eagles with 14 points and five rebounds. Whitley added 13 points and Jermere Bush-Williams had eight points and five rebounds.

Edgewood also won Saturday afternoon, defeating host Bel Air (10-10), 54-49. The Rams were ahead at the half, 32-19.

Omari Johnson poured in 22 points to lead the Rams and Cam Edwards added 18 points. Monzell Ware scored eight points and Travis Dean netted four.