In a trio of one-point boys basketball region playoff games Wednesday, Patterson Mill and Harford Tech came away with wins, while C. Milton Wright did not.

Patterson Mill’s (16-6) 62-61 win came at Joppatowne (16-7) in the Class 1A East, Section I final, while Tech’s 70-69 win came at Elkton (14-7) in the 2A East, Section I final. CMW’s (19-4) 61-60 loss came at Dundalk in the 3A North, Section II final.


Patterson Mill will host Snow Hill at 6 p.m. Friday for the region title and Tech will travel to North Caroline on Friday for the region title at 6:30 p.m.

In Joppatowne, Dmitri Robinson’s free throw with 6.3 seconds to play and a subsequent missed layup at the buzzer by Joppatowne gave visiting Patterson Mill the one-point win.

Robinson was only in the game after teammate Rashawn Clowney (18 points) was hurt on a drive to the basket after Joppatowne had tied the game at 61.

“In a situation like that they gotta foul and they gotta foul hard and it’s just basketball,” Clowney said. “So, when I took it to the hoop, I expected it, but he kind of went kind of low, so I could prepare the best that I could, I just couldn’t prepare for that.”

Robinson, who had seen time in the game prior without scoring, calmly sank the first free throw. His second was short and off the rim.

Joppatowne junior Jalen Willis (20 points) hurried the ball down the floor, stopping at the top of the circle. He went up as if to shoot, but alertly found teammate DeAnthony Creighton open in the paint. Creighton (14 points) put up the shot, but it glanced off the rim as time expired.

That’s tough, I know the guy’s crushed, but a credit to him, to our guys, to their guys,“ Mariners coach Jermaine Head said. “We knew we were in a game, we knew we were going to be in a game.”

The game was a tight one throughout the first half with Joppatowne leading at half, 31-30.

Problem for Joppatowne, though, was senior Montrell Horsey sitting on the bench with two fouls and no points with 3:00 left in the first quarter. Andrew Harney and Jayden Johnson combined for three, three-pointers to puck up the slack and keep the Mariners ahead.

Patterson Mill surged ahead in the third quarter, a quarter that saw Horsey score his first points. The basket came with 1:30 to play in the quarter, but the Huskies led 46-43 through three quarters.

Before the fourth quarter could start, however, the Huskies added two more points. Dale Harris (11 points) made two free throws that resulted from a technical foul against the Joppatowne bench after the third quarter ended.

The Huskies eventually pushed the lead to nine points, 52-43, the largest for either team with more than 6:30 to play. Joppatowne rallied and came back.

Horsey’s three-pointer made it 52-48, but he picked up his fourth foul a short time later with the Huskies leading, 56-50.

Willis, who scored nine of his 20 points in the final quarter, kept the Mariners in the game.


With 1:00 to play, Joppatowne senior Montrell Horsey (seven points) fouled out with his team trailing 60-57.

Clowney made 1-of-2 free throws and Jalen Willis’ drive and basket made it 61-59. Jalen Morris tied it at 61, setting up the final seconds.

“Us pushing out and getting up by eight was huge, because we knew they were going to go in attack mode, put their heads down and get at it,” Huskies coach Jeroud Clark said. “That’s kind of who they are, they’re a gritty group, well coached and putting them in good spots in getting to the basket. We needed to do a good job of containing it, we didn’t at times, but shoot, sometimes when you have good players, they make good plays and that’s what they were doing.”

Max Elliott and Rashawd Clowney, who also fouled out, scored 10 points each for the Huskies.

Harney finished with eight points for the Mariners.

Cobras beat Elks, again

In Elkton, Tech trailed 19-12 after one quarter, but came back to led at the half, 34-30.

Tech trailed by three with 39 seconds left to play and Jalen Dangerfield made a steal and a layup. He was fouled and also made the foul shot to tie the game at 69 all.

Following an Elkton miss, Jordan Bright grabbed the defensive rebound with 10 seconds left and he was fouled. Bright made one foul shot to put Tech up, 70-69.

Elkton put up a shot, a three-pointer, in the final seconds, but Bright blocked the attempt as time ran out.

Anthony Ifeacho led the Cobras with 22 points. Da’Shawn Lucas added 20 points, while Dangerfield scored 12 points and Bright netted 10.

Mustangs fall

In CMW’s loss, the Mustangs had a 30-28 lead at the half.

A half that saw senior Imran Husain make a free throw that stood as his 1,000th career point. Husain finished with a game-high 18 points.

Quincy Haughton added nine points and Brett Lindsey scored eight. Jack Van Syckle had six points and 14 rebounds, while Eric Stiemke had five points and two steals. Ryan Miler added four points and four assists.

Willie Fedd, Jr., led the Owls with 16 points.