xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

Past building projects and participants

The 1950s were busy years for Aberdeen. New buildings and additions to older ones were in the news.

A clipping from 1951 told of Aberdeen children being taken to the Havre de Grace School because of lack of space in he Aberdeen School.

Advertisement

From R.L. Mitchell family scrapbooks donated to the Aberdeen Room Archives and Museum, we found clippings about some of these building projects. In 1952, $400,000 was borrowed to build 22 new classrooms to Aberdeen School to complete the addition.

In 1952, the new Grace United Methodist Church School was dedicated, adding a significant addition to the church complex.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Building projects continued into the 1960s. A clipping from April 1966 was of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church completed addition of seating for 500 in the auditorium, and 600 on the lower level of the compels on Mt. Royal Avenue.

In 1953, the Aberdeen First Baptist Church was built in East Aberdeen.

A clipping for 1944 told the story of the "Old and New in Water Tanks." The story showed the photo of the 1997 "standpipe" that brought the "water works" so that Aberdeen residents could have the convenience of running water in their homes.

There were also tragedies. In 1944, "Fire Guts Aberdeen Apartments." The Hopkins house on South Rogers Street saw a fire that demolished the stately old home.

Advertisement

At the B&O Railroad crossing, in 1953 the old gates disappeared, and new automated ones were installed. In the same year, John Garrett resigned as a member of the board of directors for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, a loss of one significant figure in the history of the B&O.

In 1953, the Acme food store was built on the corner of Parke and Custis streets.

The Aberdeen Post Office saw some changes. In 1965, a clipping from the 'Harford Democrat" told the history of the first 65 years of Aberdeen's favorite meeting place. The building doubled its size. The construction project that took 14 months included new lighting and heating equipment, air-conditioning and expanded loading and unloading facilities. Postmaster William Michael Told of the first postal system in George Ivin's General Store that later became a part of Hunter's Restaurant on a street known as Broadway (now North Philadelphia Boulevard).

There is a clipping and brochure of Harford Memorial Hospital from 1942 that told of the first hospital in 1912.

In 1963, Mrs. Frank Baker retired from the Aberdeen Library after many years.

In 1955, a local Aberdeen man, Dr. Eugene Cronin, made the scientific news when he became the director of the Solomons Laboratory.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement