The Aegis
Harford County

An Old Menu and Clippings Tell Many Stories [Aberdeen]

We never know when we will come upon new donations to the Aberdeen Room Archives and Museum. Some are unusual.

At a recent family reunion, Patricia Cronin King brought an old 1943 menu from the Aberdeen Restaurant, "Home of Good Food," that stood on the east side of South Route 40. It was owned and operated by Jimmy Clessurus, and was a great community gathering place. The Clessurus family was very active in all phases of life in Aberdeen.


Needless to say, the menu itself is very interesting. Seafood dinners for $1.50! Oh, to see those days again!

Unfortunately, the entire scene at the focal site, where the restaurant stood in Aberdeen, changed. The restaurant was torn down. Today, the site is a parking lot for the railroad station. The imposing steel and concrete overpass was built over the rails beginning in 1980; and the face of Aberdeen was changed, dividing the community into two. For old timers, who remember Aberdeen before the overpass, the scene is hard to accept!


Enough of the sad note. Pat also brought an excellent photo of the 1946 Canners team. Included are Tommy Jones, Gate Keeper Clarence Whiteford, Rudy Jacobs, "Snake" Toner, "Chinky" Volkart, Charlie Jacobs, Manager Fred Baldwin Sr., and Bat Boy Cal Ripen Sr., sitting in the front. This photo is a real classic!

The September of 1995 "Cal's Streak" was the subject of many articles when Cal Ripken, Jr. made sports history. Bettye and Mike Danish saved many clippings that year, and donated a bag full of them to the Aberdeen Room. They will be used in the bindings kept for each year of Cal's career in the archives.

The Aegis: Top stories

The Aegis: Top stories


Daily highlights from Harford County's number one source for local news.

From the R. Lee Mitchell estate scrapbooks come more photos and clippings. Photos from 1959 of E. Dell Pharmacy, and a 1902 photo of the old pharmacy on East Bel Air Avenue, are among the items.

Pat Keen donated a 1958 map of Aberdeen that was drawn by Jerry Nolen. The museum has a large collection of Aberdeen maps from many years.

For the museum library, Ed Illick has donated "Great American Lighthouses."

Jim Lindsey has been clipping news items of local importance for our binders. From the May 8, 2013 Aegis is an article about the 1812 Celebration in Havre de Grace. He has also found a photo of the old B&O Station in Havre de Grace that has been gone for many years. From cemetery records of Bakers' Cemetery he has recorded the records of Lester German, a very well-known sports figure in the late 1800s and early 1900s in Aberdeen.

He also brought in the program from "The "ARC LITE" of the Aberdeen Rotary Club June 27, 2013.

Barbara Baker brought in a brochure from the B&O Museum in Baltimore. She also had saved a clipping from the Harford Democrat of Dec. 23, 1965 "Annexation Proposal for Change in December 13, 1965 in Aberdeen." Another clipping from The Sun about Mrs. Margaret Pritchard in Aberdeen who had an outstanding career. She was Harford's first sheriff's deputy and a member of Aberdeen Police Force and she was presiding over the Aberdeen High School cafeteria back in January of 1954.


Another clipping from The Sun in December of 1967 is about Track Supervisor Herbert Gallion, and the B&O Holly Tree in Perryville.