Two years later, the mysterious kidnapping of one of Aberdeen's most prominent citizens remains a wide-open case.

Aberdeen police say they have nothing new to report in the abduction of Vi Ripken. The matriarch of Maryland's first family of baseball family was taken at gunpoint for a ride around the state on July 24, 2012.


"We are continuing to look in-state and out-of-state," Aberdeen Police Department spokesman Lt. Fred Budnick said Tuesday.

Anyone who can help the police is still eligible for a reward of $100,000. Ripken's son and Hall of Fame infielder Cal Ripken Jr. increased the reward to that amount last year, around the anniversary of his mother's ordeal, but because there has been no break in the case, the reward remains unclaimed.

According to police, Vi Ripken was taken from her home by a white man early in the morning and driven around central Maryland in her own car. She was left, with her hands bound, in the car, which was found parked near her home early the next day.

Ripken was not injured in the incident and said she was determined to continue her routine and live her life as she had been, despite the bizarre attack.

Tips have dried up, despite picking up a little after the increased reward was announced, Budnick said.

There are still no suspects and no leads – at least, none that police have revealed.

The kidnapper has been seen only as an image of a man in a baseball cap.

Vi Ripken was also the victim of another armed attack outside the NBRS Bank on West Bel Air Avenue a little more than a year after the kidnapping. She was able to fend off the assailant, and he ended up being arrested.

Jesse Bowen, 34, of Havre de Grace, pleaded guilty Jan. 13 to attempted armed carjacking in that case, and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Police say the incidents did not seem to be connected and that Ripken did not appear to be targeted in the second crime because of who she is.

As time passes, some may be tempted to wonder if the case is not as straightforward as it seems.

Budnick, however, dismissed those ideas as "speculation." He said police continue to work the investigation.

The Ripkens declined to comment through their public relations agency, Maroon PR, on Wednesday and directed all questions to police.