The Aegis
Harford County

Tuesday snowfall stays on the low side in Harford

All the warnings paid off.

Harford County fared relatively well in Round Two of this week's winter storm, with the snowfall doing its part by coming in weaker than expected.


After Sunday's unexpected dumping of an average 7 inches on Harford, county officials had prepared for a projected 4 to 6 more inches of snow Tuesday morning for most of the county.

Children were enjoying another snow day off from school, while residents drove safely or stayed home from work. In addition to schools being closed Monday and Tuesday, Harford County government offices were closed both days and courts were closed Tuesday.


By mid-afternoon, however, the sun was shining brightly over downtown Bel Air, and new snow on the ground appeared to be half of the predicted amount.

Many community activities and meetings scheduled for Monday and Tuesday were likewise postponed or canceled, including the Edgewood Christmas tree lighting Monday and Tuesday night's Harford County Council meeting. Harford Travel Link also suspended operations early Tuesday morning.

"We were ready for this one. All is going well," Aberdeen City Manager Doug Miller said at about noon Tuesday.

The county got about 2 to 3 inches of snow by noon, and was expecting about another inch before the storm leaves the area in the afternoon, emergency services spokesman Bob Thomas said.

All state highways around the city were wet but open, he said, and all county roads were "passable" as of noon.

"However, snow removal will continue throughout the afternoon and into this evening," Thomas said. "More than 100 [Department of Public Works] highways personnel and contractors have been working since before dawn this morning to clear and salt our roads."

Thomas had no major accidents or incidents to report early Tuesday afternoon.

Shortly before 3 p.m., however, someone was reportedly injured in a sledding accident near the Street post office on Highland Road, Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association spokesman Rich Gardiner confirmed.


Gardiner said a boy in his early teens suffered minor injuries.

Traffic seemed light throughout the region and accidents minimal, especially when compared to the frenzy created during Sunday's unexpectedly quick snowstorm. Monitored Harford County emergency broadcasts throughout the day Tuesday indicated few highway problems and a handful of minor fire calls.

The Aegis: Top stories


Daily highlights from Harford County's number one source for local news.

Cars nevertheless moved slowly along many larger roads, like Route 155, Grafton Shop Road, Route 136, Fork Road, Jarrettsville Road and parts of the Belair Bypass, as the snow piled up closer to 11 a.m.

An accident was reported on I-95 by the Aberdeen exit at 10:06 a.m.

Havre de Grace city officials said road crews were working diligently Tuesday morning but drivers should do their part as well.

"The roads in Havre de Grace are becoming snow covered. Our [Department of Public Works] folks are doing a great job of keeping the roads clear to the best of  their ability," police spokesman Ofr. Jeff Gilpin said at about 9:30 a.m.


"There have not been any significant traffic incidents to report. We just continue to ask that drivers remain cautious when driving. Be patient, take your time, drive slow, and if it is not needed, don't go."

The county's emergency operations center had been activated to Level 2 staffing, but was set to end that by 4 p.m.

No word had been received as of 4 p.m. if Harford school officials have decided to reopen on Wednesday after two days off from the snow.