Use Code BALT69 for a $69 Ticket to One Day University on July 9

Aberdeen man sentenced to life, with all but 50 years suspended, for 2016 murder of Baltimore woman

Andrew Sun Lee, 23, was sentenced Wednesday to a life sentence wilth all but 50 years suspended for stabbing a woman to death in Aberdeen last year, the Harford County State’s Attorney’s Office announced.

In May, Lee entered a guilty plea to first-degree murder in death of Ericka Satterfield, 27, of Baltimore, on the evening of July 29, 2016. The state did not prosecute a concurrent charge of wearing or carrying a dangerous weapon with intent to injure, according to court records.

Harford County Circuit Court Judge Kevin Mahoney also placed Lee on five years of supervised probation if he is ever released.

According to court records, Lee received credit for the 467 days he spent in jail since his arrest, and the judge recommended his sentence be served at the Patuxent Institution in Jessup, a maximum security prison that provides a variety of mental health services to its inmates.

Ms. Satterfield, who police said lived in the 1100 block of Bonaparte Avenue in Baltimore, had been walking along the 100 block of Post Road when she was attacked by Lee and stabbed approximately 20 times, police and prosecutors said.

The victim, who police said suffered knife wounds to her chest, neck and other extremities, was found alive by a resident on Old Post Road who heard her screams and called 911; however, Ms. Satterfield later succumbed to her injuries.

Lee fled to his home on Taft Street in Aberdeen and later went to Harford Memorial Hospital for treatment for the wounds that he sustained in the attack, police said. He was arrested at the hospital by detectives from the Aberdeen Police Department who were investigating the murder.

Prosecutors said there was no known connection between Lee and Satterfield, who was visiting relatives in Aberdeen at the time of the attack, and a motive was never established.

After Lee was arrested and charged, he was evaluated for mental competency, according to court records, but was found “not incompetent to stand trial” on May 8. The same day he pleaded guilty under a sealed plea agreement with prosecutors, court records show.

The case was prosecuted by Deputy Harford State’s Attorney Diane Adkins-Tobin, who sought a sentence of life with all but 60 years suspended, according to a news release from the State’s Attorney’s Office.

Ms. Satterfield’s father, Jesse Satterfield, spoke at the sentencing, stating that “no parent should ever have to bury a child,” according to the news release.

“Ericka was the light of my life,” he said. “She was always smiling and had love in her heart.”

Ms. Satterfield was the mother of two young children, ages 6 months and 7 years, according to the prosecution. Her father stated that her children will never know their mother, and that the family was making sure that they are being raised the way that she would have wanted.

“The State is satisfied with the sentence,” Adkins-Tobin said in a statement. “There were a number of complex legal issues that existed in this case. Mr. Lee will be in jail for a long time.”

“The sentence ensures the safety of the community and brings some justice to the Satterfield family,” she said.

According to the news release, Adkins-Tobin credited the work of the Aberdeen Police Department for doing a thorough investigation that resulted in being able to obtain a guilty plea to first-degree murder.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad