The Aegis
Harford County

Part of former Plecker property could go to Joppa-Magnolia fire co.

A Harford County councilman is hoping the county will give a portion of the Plecker property in Joppa to Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company for a new station.

The county is trying to determine how the 22-acre parcel should be used since it will not be the site of a Harford transfer station, which local residents successfully fought.


Last month, the Harford Board of Estimates approved a contract committing county funds toward building a transfer station in Baltimore County to accept solid waste from Harford, part of an agreement between the two counties.

The land, west of the Route 7 and Route 152 interchange, was home to Coleman Plecker's World of Golf. The county purchased it for nearly $3 million in 2011.


"What we want to do with it is, we want to give at least 10 acres to Joppa Magnolia [Volunteer Fire Company], the upper part, so they can build a new fire station," Guthrie said.

Guthrie said the remaining 12 acres on the lower portion of the property could be preserved as wetlands.

Seasonal fire safety tips

Community Council member Ron Sollod, who is also chairman of the Fire Prevention and Life Safety Committee, which is under the auspices of the county's Volunteer Fire & EMS Association, offered a variety of fire safety tips for the holiday season.

He said residents should work to "put the fire service out of business."

He noted a state law passed earlier this year requires residents to have a smoke alarm that lasts for 10 years without requiring a battery change, as opposed to current smoke detectors with batteries that should be changed twice a year.

The Aegis: Top stories


Daily highlights from Harford County's number one source for local news.

Those new smoke detectors are available through local fire companies.

"They do save lives," Sollod said of smoke detectors.


He also encouraged homeowners to ensure the cords they are using to power their Christmas lights are not cracked or frayed, that Christmas trees are fresh when they are purchased and are watered daily once they are installed in the home, and to never leave burning candles unattended.

Sollod stressed that gasoline should never be put in a kerosene heater because "they'll catch fire like you wouldn't believe," food should not be left unattended on the stove, clothes dryers should be clear of lint and water should not be used to extinguish a kitchen, grease or electrical fire.

He said people using turkey fryers should never use the fryer on a wooden deck, make sure there is no ice in the turkey to prevent water from mixing with oil and make sure the flame on the fryer is out before placing the turkey in the oil to ensure that if hot oil does splash over the sides it won't start a fire.

He encouraged teaching children to get out of the home as quickly as possible if there is a fire and to never go back inside, and that residents should call their local fire department if there is ever a problem or concern.

"We'd rather come out there and be safe rather than be sorry later on," Sollod said.