Two held in connection with Aberdeen home invasion

Two people suspected in a March 15 home invasion near Aberdeen, during which a couple and their three children were held at gunpoint as the suspects rifled through their house, have been jailed this week.

William Oglesby, 31, of Edgewood, is being held in the Harford County Detention Center without bail following a hearing in District Court in Bel Air Monday.


Judge John L. Dunnigan, who was presiding over the bail reviews, ordered Oglesby's co-defendant, Niesha T. Dawson, 27, also of Edgewood, to remain in the county jail on $250,000 bail.

She was still in jail as of Tuesday, according to online court records.

The home invasion happened in a house in the 4400 block of Old Philadelphia Road, according to police.

A third suspect, Alan Johnson, 22, of Aberdeen, appeared for a bail review in District Court March 16. Judge Mimi Cooper ordered him held on $150,000 bail. He was released from jail March 21, according to court records.

There are no other suspects, according to Cristie Kahler, spokesperson for the Harford County Sheriff's Office. The relationship between Dawson and Oglesby, who live at the same address, is still under investigation.

Dawson and Oglesby face multiple charges, including home invasion, first-degree burglary, armed robbery, robbery, first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, false imprisonment and six firearms-related charges, including possession of a firearm after being convicted of a felony and use of an assault pistol or a magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition, in the commission of a felony or violent crime.

Oglesby's public defender, Laura Garcia, told the judge her client has a 6-year-old child and is engaged to be married. He attended high school through 11th grade and has obtained his GED.

Garcia said Oglesby had been stabbed recently, and he is suffering from "open wounds," as well as problems with his sight and hearing.


She asked Dunnigan to "set a reasonable bond" for Oglesby, who was being held without bail.

The prosecutor, Mark Meehan, noted Oglesby had been released from jail on bail in prior cases when the home invasion happened.

He stressed the incident involved a family with three children, "all held at gunpoint."

Dunnigan agreed and ordered Oglesby to remain in jail without bail.

The judge asked Dawson during her hearing whether she had received charging documents in her case.

"Yes, even though I didn't do it," Dawson replied.


Garcia said Dawson is scheduled for surgery on her injured left arm, and she risks losing a finger if she does not get the surgery. Dawson, who appeared via video link from the jail, raised her arm, which was wrapped in a loose bandage, in front of the camera.

Garcia also noted Dawson's daughter's 9th birthday was Monday. She said Dawson is a 2006 Aberdeen High School graduate and is studying to become a registered nurse. She works for a home health care provider.

Garcia asked for a reduction in her client's $250,000 bail. Meehan asked for an increase in bail, and he reiterated the nature of the crime in which she is accused of participating, as well as prior criminal convictions.

Dunnigan kept her bail at $250,000.

'Multiple suspects' involved

According to charging documents in Oglesby's case, "multiple suspects" forced their way into the house.

"All suspects were brandishing firearms and the victims were threatened with them," the charging documents state. "[The] victims were held captive at gunpoint, while other suspects stole several items belonging to the victims."

Among the property stolen was a wallet, prescription medication, cash and two cell phones, charging documents state.

According to charging documents, victims were able to identify Oglesby, also known as "Bird," and investigators subsequently determined a cell phone belonging to Oglesby "was pinging in the area of the victims' residence during the time frame of the crime."

Detectives obtained a search and seizure warrant for Oglesby's residence in the 1300 block of Clover Valley Way in Edgewood and executed it Friday, according to charging documents.

During the search, a stolen firearm believed to have been used in the Aberdeen crime and a cell phone matching one belonging to one of the victims were found, according to charging documents.

In addition, there was an extended magazine seated in the firearm whose capacity exceeded 10 rounds, the charging documents state.

"During recorded interviews, Mr. Oglesby advised that he knows he was prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm," charging documents state.

Prior offenses

According to court records, Oglesby was convicted of drug possession with intent to distribute in April 2004 and sentenced to 18 months in jail.

Charges are pending against Oglesby from two incidents within days of each other in May 2013.

He was indicted in June 2013 on drug possession with intent to distribute and drug possession from an arrest on May 25, 2013.

A report in The Aegis from then said Harford County Sheriff's Office deputies were called to a Dublin area mobile home park for a report of a man, who turned out to be Oglesby, was allegedly selling drugs from a vehicle, which they stopped in the vicinity of Routes 1 and 136.

That case is scheduled to go to trial before a jury in Circuit Court on July 26, according to court records, after an earlier trial held last June ended in a mistrial.

Oglesby also was charged with theft between $1,000 and $10,000, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, resisting arrest and obstructing and hindering a police officer from an incident on May 27, 2015, in which police looking for a vehicle reported stolen in Bel Air found the vehicle, a work van, in the 600 block of Hoagie Drive with Oglesby inside.

Oglesby's trial in the vehicle theft case, also before a jury, is scheduled for May 3 in Circuit Court, according to court records.

Dawson has also had several encounters with the criminal justice system, according to online court records.

She pleaded guilty in January 2010 to one count of marijuana possession, and she was sentenced to one year in jail, with all time suspended, and six months of supervised probation.

Dawson pleaded guilty in March 2011 to one count of conspiracy to distribute drugs. She was sentenced to three years in jail, with all time suspended, and two years of supervised probation.

She pleaded guilty that same month to one count of distributing drugs. She was sentenced to 10 years in prison, with eight years and six months suspended, and two years of supervised probation.