Havre de Grace Middle School opened as usual for classes Monday, despite an incident the day before, during which firefighters had to respond to a fire alarm at the school.
Firefighters with the Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace responded to the school Sunday evening to investigate an "odor of burning."
"It was just an odor of burning from the air handling system," Fire Chief Scott Hurst said.
Firefighters were alerted around 5:25 p.m.
Hurst said there was "no damage" to the school building and the air system was shut down for school maintenance workers to inspect it.
A power outage hit the school Sunday. School officials suspected the outage, which lasted at least six hours, was the result of windy conditions and a damaged power line on nearby Lewis Lane, according to Teri Kranefeld, manager of communications for Harford County Public Schools.
The school is in the 400 block of Lewis Lane.
"The school was alerted to the issue when an HVAC unit overheated setting off the fire alarm," Kranefeld wrote in an e-mail Monday.
Kranefeld explained Monday afternoon that power was "fully restored" to the school, food service staffers dealt with food safety and refrigeration matters and facilities staffers repaired the HVAC unit.