One cat died and a 69-year-old man was hospitalized after being hurt in a house fire in the 100 block of Haverhill Road in Joppa early Monday morning, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
Preston C. Hall, who lived in the duplex with his step-daughter and her son, was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, according to a Fire Marshal’s Office notice of investigation issued around 8:45 a.m. Monday. He suffered first-degree burns on his face and smoke inhalation, according to the notice.
The fire caused an estimated $170,000 in damage, as it spread to the attached house, according to the notice. Multiple fire companies from Baltimore and Harford counties responded.
Hall’s step-daughter, Michelle Esworthy, was awakened by “smoke and heat.” She woke up Hall and her son, Tanner Smith, and they all got out via a rear door, according to the notice of investigation.
Hall was injured when he went back in the house to rescue their pets. He saved their dog, but a cat died, according to the notice and Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver Alkire, spokesperson for the Fire Marshal’s Office.
The flames also spread to the attached dwelling, causing “extensive smoke, heat and water damage,” according to the notice of investigation.
Hall and his family are getting help from Harford County Disaster Assistance and the American Red Cross. Friends and family are helping the owner of the neighboring house, Nicole Turkot, according to the notice.
The Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company was the primary company, and it received support from the Kingsville and White Marsh volunteer fire companies from Baltimore County. Harford County fire companies that provided support included Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire & Emergency Services, Abingdon Volunteer Fire Company, Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company and Fallston Volunteer Fire & Ambulance Company, according to a post on Joppa-Magnolia’s Facebook page.