A 30-year-old inmate at Harford County Detention Center died Wednesday after hanging himself in his cell, the Sheriff’s Office said.

While conducting regularly scheduled tours around 2:48 p.m., a correctional deputy found the inmate unresponsive in his cell with a sheet around his neck, according to a Sheriff’s Office news release.


The inmate was identified as Marlyn William Barnes, from Gwynn Oak. He was brought to the detention center Tuesday on charges of first- and second-degree assault and violation of a protective order, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

He was being held at the detention center without bail following a bail review hearing Wednesday in Harford County District Court, according to court records.

Deputies immediately called for detention center medical staff and all available deputies to respond and begin lifesaving efforts. Medical staff began CPR and applied an AED, without success, the Sheriff’s Office said.

Members of the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company responded and continued to administer assistance. Barnes was pronounced dead at 3:30 p.m.

Pursuant to policy, the inquiry into Barnes’ death was assumed by detectives with the Harford County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division. A preliminary investigation indicated that Barnes had just returned from his bail review, officials said, where bail had been denied.

Investigators with the Forensic Services Unit also responded to document the scene and collect evidence. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner was notified and responded.

No foul play is suspected, the Sheriff's Office said. The investigation is ongoing, and no further information is available.

Barnes’ death is the third of a detention center inmate in the last eight months.

In July 2018, Michael Belt, 28, of the 100 block of Hickory Point Road in Pasadena, went into cardiac arrest and was taken to Upper Chesapeake Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

In September 2018, James Allen Zornes, 54, from Bel Air, was found dead in his cell. Zornes, who suffered from multiple medical conditions, had been refusing medication, Sheriff’s Office officials said at the time of his death.