CMW leads Week Six football winners with win over Perryville

Despite persistent rain showers and soggy fields throughout Harford County, Week Six of the high school football season is in the books for all 10 public high schools.

Nine of the 10 played UCBAC divisional contests, while Joppatowne took a break. In Chesapeake (upper) Division play, Bel Air, C. Milton Wright, Fallston and North Harford each picked up victories. Aberdeen, Havre de Grace and Patterson Mill were losers.


Edgewood was a Susquehanna (lower) Division winner, while Harford Tech was not. Joppatowne was also a winner in its non-league contest.

Mustangs beat Panthers


C. Milton Wright (1-2 league, 4-2 overall) turned back previously unbeaten and visiting Perryville (2-1 league, 5-1 overall), 28-13, in rainy Chesapeake action.

The win celebrated the Mustangs' homecoming and also ended a 25-game regular season win streak by the Panthers. The last regular season loss came in Week 10 of the 2010 season.

In Friday's win, CMW jumped ahead early in the second quarter when quarterback Omar Walker connected with his twin brother, receiver Osiah Walker on a 21-yard scoring play. Michael Poorbaugh added the extra-point kick for the 7-0 lead with 9:05 to play in the half.

Two more CMW drives that may have produced points ended in turnovers on Perryville's end of the field. The latter of the two was a one-hand interception by the Panthers Tyrell Hollingsworth in his own end zone.

Perryville came out in the second half and went right to work offensively, evening the score with 7:25 to play in quarter three.

A 12-yard shovel pass from Elijah Johnson to Ethan Griffin put the Panthers into the end zone and Josh Bargsten's extra-point kick knotted the score.

CMW answered immediately, scoring in just eight plays to retake the lead.

Will Hazelton did the honors from six yards out and Poorbaugh added the kick with 3:57 to play. Hazelton was a beast, finishing with 211 yards on 29 carries.

Omar Walker added 137 yards passing and 158 yards rushing. Osiah Walker had 85 receiving yards and 92 yards rushing.

It appeared Perryville was getting back in the end zone on its next possession, but on second and goal from the Mustangs seven, Johnson tried to roll around the right end. He was met at the four and the collision resulted in a fumble. Ross Kunmann made the recovery at the CMW one-yard line.

A few snaps later, CMW coughed the ball back up and Perryville recovered at the CMW 27.

The short series by the Mustangs proved costly though, as the Panthers Griffin went down with an apparent leg injury with 10:09 left in the game. He did not return.


Despite that, Perryville managed to put the ball back in the end zone on a six-yard pass from Johnson to Holingworth. The extra-point, however, was blocked, leaving CMW with a 14-13 lead.

The Mustangs had another answer with their next possession. The Mustangs marched 80 yards in 11 plays with Osiah Walker capping the drive with a 22-yard touchdown run with 1:14 to play.

The Panthers suffered another potential severe injury in that Mustangs drive when lineman Steven Duty went down with a possible back/neck injury. Play was halted for more than 25 minutes as Duty was taken away in an ambulance.

The Mustangs then put the game away when Freddie Montgomery intercepted his second pass of the game and returned it 60 yards for a score. Poorbaugh closed the scoring with his fourth extra-point kick.

Steve Gray also had an interception for CMW and Poorbaugh added a fumble recovery.

Fallston takes down Patterson Mill

The undefeated Fallston Cougars (6-0 overall, 3-0 Chesapeake) protected their perfect record Friday night, defeating the host Patterson Mill Huskies, 18-6.

The defeat knocked Patterson Mill down to 4-2 overall and 1-2 in Chesapeake Division games.

The start of Friday's contest saw the two teams engaged in a defensive battle because of the wet weather. Over the first eight minutes, the ball changed hands three times without either squad posting a point.

With three minutes left in the first quarter, the Huskies, after taking their second possession of the game following a Fallston punt, found themselves backed well into their own territory and facing a fourth-down play. The hosts decided to punt, but the long snap went over the head of the Huskies' punter and bounced out of bounds through the back of Patterson Mill's end zone, giving Fallston a safety and a 2-0 lead.

The play that turned out to be the game-winner came directly after the Huskies botched punt, when Patterson Mill safety kicked to Fallston. There to take the kick was Fallston running back Ross Mitchell, who darted through the oncoming Patterson Mill special teams unit, found a hole and sprinted 65 yards for a touchdown. Cougar kicker Luke Reuter nailed the extra point, giving the guests a 9-0 advantage.

Following Fallston's one-two punch, the game fell back into a running battle, with neither side managing to make significant gains through the first seven minutes of the second quarter.

With five minutes left before the halftime whistle, the Cougars had managed to grind their way to the Patterson Mill 13 yard line, where they faced a fourth-down. Rather than risk a turnover on downs in what would probably be a low-scoring affair, the Cougars sent Reuter out to wrap up the drive, and he put his 30-yard attempt through the uprights to give Fallston a 12-0 edge.

The remaining five minutes of the half saw three changes of possession, but not a point from either side, and Fallston went into the locker room at the intermission still holding its 12-0 lead.

The game's next score didn't come until eight minutes into the third quarter, following Patterson Mill's drive to the Fallston three yard line. Husky running back Devinn Fisher wrapped up his team's lone scoring push, rumbling across the Cougars' goal line for a three-yard touchdown run. Patterson Mill failed to convert on the extra-point kick, leaving the score at 12-6.

The Cougars did not have to wait long to cushion their lead, coming through with a score on the ensuing possession. After Fallston drove to their own 33, Andrew Monaghan took a carry, found daylight and took off for a 67-yard touchdown run. The Huskies blocked Reuter's point-after kick, which left the score 18-6.

The fourth quarter saw both sides take possession twice, and each drove inside the opposing 25-yard line on one of those possessions, but neither came up with a touchdown over the balance of the game.

North Harford wins wet one

In a Friday game slowed down by a nearly constant rain shower, the host-team North Harford Hawks (4-1 overall, 3-0 Chesapeake) outlasted the Aberdeen Eagles (3-3 overall, 1-2 Chesapeake) to take a 14-6 victory.

The lone score of the first half came in the opening quarter, when North Harford quarterback Nic Hammer capped a drive to the Aberdeen two yard line with a two-yard touchdown dive. Sean Bowling hit the extra-point pick, giving North Harford the 7-0 lead it would take into the halftime break.

In the third quarter, North Harford running back Scott Angstadt caught a 29-yard touchdown pass from Hammer to give the hosts another six points. Bowling put the point-after kick through the uprights, and the Hawks were up, 14-0.


Late in the fourth quarter, Aberdeen cut the North Harford lead down to 14-6, when quarterback Lavell McCullers hit Nate McKinney with a 14-yard touchdown pass. The Eagles, however, failed to convert on the two-point play, leaving the guests eight points behind.

The Hawks held on to the ball for the remainder of the contest to seal up their victory.

Rams win close one

Edgewood (1-1 league, 3-3 overall) scored 21 unanswered points en route to its first home victory, 21-20, over Elkton in Susquehanna play.

The Rams offense was anchored by Jeremy Middlebrooks, who ran for 189 yards and two touchdowns. Izaiah Sneed had the other touchdown and Sean Kluchinsky put the winning extra point through the uprights with 2:21 left in the game.

Defensively, the Rams came alive in the second half, led by senior Langston Guinn, who tallied eight solo tackles and two assists. Three other players were close behind as James Johnson and Kluchinsky each had seven tackles and David Coates had six.

Bobcats thump Warriors

Bel Air (1-2 league, 4-2 overall) had no trouble with visiting Havre de Grace (0-3 league, 2-4 overall) in its 42-7 Chesapeake win. The Bobcats led 35-0 at the half and 42-0 before Havre de Grace scored its lone touchdown. It was the second straight game for Havre de Grace to lose 42-7.

Devin Bowers opened the scoring with a 45-yard touchdown run and Miguel Valdes ran for a two-point conversion. The defense then got involved, with Caleb Rollins picking up a fumble and racing 80 yards for a score. Bowers added the two-point conversion for a 16-0 lead.

Valdes added the next two scores for Bel Air, first on a 31-yard run and the second from 14 yards out. Kyle Hamrick had a two-point run following the first score, but the conversion for two points failed after the second Valdes run.

Bowers then added his second score by three-yard run and again, the conversion failed. The final Bel Air touchdown came on a 46-yard pass from Matt Wallace to Ben Webber.

Havre de Grace's lone score came in the final minute with Jack Eberhardt passing six yards to Chop Jones and Geno Nappi kicking the extra point.

Joppatowne bashes Lansdowne

The Joppatowne Mariners (3-3 overall, 2-0 Susquehanna) earned a home-field, shutout win on Friday, dispatching Lansdowne, 41-0.

Joppatowne running back Shawn Johnson led the Mariners' attack, gathering 155 yards and scoring two touchdowns on 10 carries.

Malik Smith had 68 yards and two touchdowns on five carries, while Will Downs had 50 yards on seven carries.

Joppatowne quarterback Kenny Baroch scored one rushing touchdown, and, though he only threw one pass the entire game, it happened to be a 58-yard touchdown to Raequan Demby.

Joppatowne kicker Nick Lloyd was a perfect five-for-five on extra-point attempts.

Ryan Webb had one interception in the victory and posted five tackles, while Brandon Waters also had five tackles.

Harford Tech topped

Playing at home Friday night, the Harford Tech Cobras suffered a 21-14 loss to the Bo Manor Eagles.

The loss dropped Harford Tech to 0-5 overall and 0-2 in Susquehanna Division play.

Patriots lose again

John Carroll (3-4 overall) lost Saturday in MIAA B Conference action for a second straight week, falling at Severn, 33-10. The loss dropped the Patriots to 0-2 in league play.

Quarterback Christian Scott scored on a first quarter run to put the Patriots on the scoreboard. Steven Cutchin added the extra point and a 31-yard field goal in the second quarter to give the Patriots a 10-7 halftime lead. Unfortunately, that's all the Patriots scored.

Severn, meanwhile, scored seven points in the first quarter, but then posted 13-point third and fourth quarters while shutting John Carroll out.

Paul Lorick rushed for 78 yards on 21 carries, while Scott had 50 yards on 10 carries. Scott completed 1-of-6 passes for 30 yards. He was intercepted twice. Jerome Brown had the pass reception and added 25 rushing yards on seven carries.

Gus Lane made 14 total tackles to lead the defense and Scott added nine tackles. Luke Rinehart had seven tackles and Andrew Reininger had two sacks, a caused fumble and a recovered fumble.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun