A space heater and an electrical problem caused two fires that damaged homes in Aberdeen and Edgewood, the State Fire Marshal's Office reported.

The electrical malfunction caused the fire at a one-story house in the 500 block of Paradise Road in Aberdeen, reported around 6 p.m. Friday, according to a Fire Marshal's Office's notice of investigation.

Advertisement

No one was home at the time, except a dog that was rescued by a neighbor who broke the front-door window.

The fire caused a total of $40,000 in damage to the structure and contents.

Forty firefighters from Aberdeen, APG and Level fire companies spent about 20 minutes controlling the blaze, which was discovered by a passerby.

The fire was caused by a problem with aluminum wiring in the living room ceiling, according to the notice of investigation.

A fire Saturday in a mobile home in the 1900 block of Steven Drive was caused by combustible materials too close to a space heater, according to the Fire Marshal Office's notice of investigation.

The fire was reported at 7:42 p.m. and caused $15,000 in damage. No injuries were reported.

The space heater accidentally was placed too close to combustibles in the bedroom, according to investigators.

About 25 firefighters from Joppa-Magnolia, Abingdon and Aberdeen Proving Ground fire companies took 10 minutes to control the fire.

The home had smoke alarms that did not operate, according to investigators.

Families in both houses were being assisted by relatives, the Fire Marshal's Office said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement