An electrical failure in a vacant home sparked a fire in Aberdeen early Monday morning, the Office of the State Fire Marshal reported.

A passerby saw smoke coming from a basement window in a two-story home in the 400 block of Edmund Street at about 5:34 a.m., according to the notice of investigation.

Advertisement

The fire caused $2,000 in damage to the home, which had been vacant for more than six months, but was still connected to the electric grid, according to the notice.

The fire was contained to a small area of the basement ceiling. About 20 firefighters from Aberdeen, APG and Susquehanna Hose fire companies took five minutes to control the fire, according to the notice.

The fire was ruled to be accidental, caused by electrical failure, according to the notice.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement