A fire that started as a result of a home repair gone bad damaged a Bel Air home early Friday afternoon, fire investigators said.
The fire was reported at 1:27 p.m. in a single story, brick rancher in the first block of Huntington Place off West Ring Factory Road, about a mile south of the Bel Air town limits.
According to initial Harford County emergency radio dispatches, smoke was coming from a wall inside the home.
According to the notice of investigation from the Office of the State Fire Marshal, the homeowner had drilled a hole in an exterior wall of the home in hopes of installing a new water spigot. Approximately two hours later, the homeowner smelled smoke.
A preliminary finding is friction and sparks ignited the interior wall stud, which in turn spread to other combustible materials, the Fire Marshal's Office said. The homeowner attempted to put out the fire with a home extinguisher.
The fire's area of origin was a inside the garage and in a kitchen wall.
About 25 firefighters from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company responded and controlled the fire within five minutes, according to the notice of investigation.
Damage is estimated at $15,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the homes contents, according to fire investigators.