After claiming he was assaulted by 'a black man,' aide to Harford legislator James, brother charged in Annapolis fight

Police say a legislative aide to Harford Del. Mary-Dulany James told them he had been assaulted by "a black man" following a fight earlier this week between the aide and his brother inside James' Annapolis office.

The aide, Luke Uriah Kershner Horah, and his brother were charged with second-degree assault and other charges following a fight at the Lowe House of Delegates Building during the last night of the Maryland General Assembly session on Monday, according to the Department of General Services Maryland Capitol Police.


Luke Horah, 25, of the 100 block of Hopewell Road in Rising Sun, and Jacob Deyman Kershner Horah, 19, of the same address, were both charged with second-degree assault, disorderly intoxication, disorderly conduct, vandalism and affray, Michelle Parker, spokesperson for the Maryland Capitol Police, confirmed in an e-mail. Affray is fighting in a public place.

"My brother and I have been together since the second we were released," Luke Horah said in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon. "It was just a family issue that occurred at the wrong place."


According to police, officers responded to the fourth floor of the Lowe Building around 6:30 p.m. Monday for a report of a fight in progress. It was about five hours and a half hours prior to the midnight adjournment of the 2014 legislative session.

According to the police report, a Department of General Services Maryland Capitol Police officer found Luke Horah with "disheveled clothing and covered in blood" and a "strong odor of alcoholic beverage emitting from his person and breath."

Luke Horah stated "a black man approximately 6 foot, 2 inches in height assaulted him" and fled the scene, according to the police report.

Multiple units searched the area and found a bloody white man fleeing the area, Jacob Horah, who was later identified as a relative of Luke Horah, according to the police report.

According to the police report, the "mutual assault" occurred in Room 404, the office of Del. James.

Both brothers were bruised with bloody hands, according to the police report. Jacob Horah had a cut below his right eye and was taken by ambulance to Anne Arundel Medical Center, according to police documents.

Luke Horah refused medical treatment, the police report states.

Luke Horah said Jacob Horah "fell down a stairwell and cut his face," according to the police report, which also states that Luke Horah was not compliant with officers on the scene and was acting disorderly.

According to the police report, multiple lamps, phones and office equipment were broken and blood stained in the delegate's office with "large amounts of blood on the floor."

Damage to the property is valued at about $1,000, according to the report.

Parker said Jacob Horah was treated for his injuries and released. Maryland Capitol Police took the suspects to the Annapolis City Police Department for possessing and charging, Parker said.

According to Parker, the men were taken to the District Court Commissioner and released on their own recognizance.


An investigation is pending, Parker said.

No elected officials were involved in the altercation, she said.

James, a Democrat, has served in the House of Delegates for 16 years, representing southern Harford County and western Cecil County. She is a candidate for the State Senate in Legislative District 34.

James was unavailable to comment Wednesday afternoon.

In September 2013, Luke Horah pleaded guilty and received probation before judgment in Anne Arundel County District Court on a charge of driving under the influence per se from an April 4, 2013 incident on northbound I-97 near Brightview Road in Millersville, according to online case documents.

Other related traffic charges, including driving under the influence of alcohol, driving 108 mph in a posted 65 mph zone, negligent driving, reckless driving and possessing a suspended license, were dropped, according to court records.

Luke Horah was fined $185 plus court costs. He was placed on supervised probation until Sept. 24, 2014, according to his probation agent in the District Court Parole and Probation Office in Elkton.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun