Two injured, one seriously, during Aberdeen police chase Sunday night

An Aberdeen man was arrested after he fled police and allegedly struck a teenage pedestrian and two vehicles with his car Sunday evening, Aberdeen Police said.

Asim J. Lievers, 31, of the 200 block of Mayberry Drive, was charged Sunday with first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, vandalism and more than 40 traffic-related charges.


The chase, which lasted for about two miles, left a 16-year-old boy in critical condition. A woman was also taken to the hospital with minor injuries, according to a statement from the Aberdeen Police Department.

The incident had one Aberdeen resident and former city councilman questioning the need for high-speed chases in residential areas.

Aberdeen Police tried to stop a vehicle for a speeding violation at about 7:20 p.m. in the 700 block of Old Philadelphia Road, according to APD spokesman Lt. Fred Budnick.

As officers approached, the 1998 Nissan Maxima sped off to the rear of Walmart, crossed Route 40 to Edmund Street, where it hit the 16-year-old pedestrian.

The driver continued to flee as an Aberdeen officer helped the pedestrian, according to the statement.

The Maxima hit an Aberdeen police car and a 2009 Ford, driven by Berkley Fax, 51, of Aberdeen, after which the driver of the Maxima, whom police have identified as Lievers, left the car and ran off in the area of Route 40 near Route 7, police said.

A passenger in Fax's vehicle, Barbara Fax, suffered minor injuries and was taken to Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre Grace.

Lievers ran into Route 40 traffic, jumping over a jersey wall, as an officer tried to cut him off with his vehicle, according to charging documents.

Police ultimately deployed a Taser and took Lievers into custody, according to charging documents.

He was apprehended a short distance from the scene. .

The 16-year-old, whom police did not identify, was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in critical condition. He was released from the hospital the next day, Budnick said.

Budnick said Tuesday the reason Lievers allegedly fled is unclear.

Budnick said he believes all four Aberdeen officers who were on duty Sunday night assisted with the chase. He did not know if other police agencies were involved.

Members of the Harford County Sheriff's Office Crash Team are assisting in the investigation, he said.


Lievers was released Monday on $35,000 bond from the Harford County Detention Center.

Concern about high-speed pursuits

One Aberdeen resident and former city councilman questioned Monday if police should be chasing people at high rates of speed through residential areas.

Mike Hiob told the Aberdeen City Council Monday he heard people discussing the wisdom of Sunday's chase.

Hiob said he wanted to hear Chief Henry Trabert's thoughts on high-speed pursuits through residential areas.

"I kind of feel the same as these [other people's] comments," he said, asking Trabert and the council if pulling someone over for a minor traffic violation is worth these types of chases.

Mayor Mike Bennett replied the council or chief may have a discussion about that "down the road."

"Those are issues that are internal," Bennett said.