A fire investigators say was the result of burned wood chips placed in a trash can, caused an estimated $15,000 in damages to an Aberdeen house Tuesday afternoon.

EMS workers also examined at the scene a woman who lived in the home, but she was not taken to the hospital, Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association, said.


Emergency responders were alerted around 1 p.m., and personnel from the Aberdeen Fire Department, Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire Department and the Susquehanna Hose Company of Havre de Grace responded to first block of Graceford Drive.

Twenty-five firefighters responded and it took 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control, according to a notice of investigation released Tuesday by the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

The cause of the fire, which started on the rear deck of the house, was ruled accidental, "due to improperly discarded wood embers from a smoker," the fire marshal's report stated.

The fire caused $10,000 worth of damage to the structure and $5,000 worth of damage to the contents of the house, according to the report.

Gardiner said the homeowner had been smoking meat and put the wood chips used in a trash can on the deck.

He said firefighters contained the fire to the deck and an attached garage, and "heavy smoke damage" could be found throughout the dwelling.

Gardiner said the residents are living elsewhere while repairs are made.

They are receiving help from the American Red Cross and Harford County Disaster Assistance, according to the Fire Marshal's report.