A toilet malfunction forced the shutdown a building in Aberdeen this week and displaced 31 Harford County employees, most of them with the Health Department, county officials said.
The Aberdeen Community Services building, at Route 40 and Franklin Street, is expected to reopen for business Monday, county facilities and operations chief Tim Myers said Thursday.
When employees arrived Tuesday after the long Labor Day weekend, a third-floor toilet was discovered to have overflowed, sending water into the second floor and basement, Myers said. He noted the water was clean.
Facilities employees fixed the problem but have been trying to dry out floor and water damage to avoid mold, he said.
"We want to do everything we can to make the place safe, especially for the public," he said.
Health Department spokesman Bill Wiseman said employees there include five Women, Infants and Children health nutrition program staff members and 25 Care Coordination Unit staff members.
They have been working from other health department locations and their programs are still operating, he said. Calls to those employees are being forwarded to their temporary locations, he said, and voice mail messages are also being received.
"Our Aberdeen location will be closed Tues., Weds., and Thurs. of this week due to building complications. Please stay tuned beyond Thursday," the health department posted on social media.
Besides the health department staff, the Aberdeen Community Services Building also has one Harford County Department of Parks and Recreation employee who works there Tuesdays and Thursdays, county spokeswoman Sherrie Johnson said.
He was able to work out of the department's Havre de Grace office without disrupting work flow, Johnson said.