The Aegis
Harford County

JFK helps open Northeastern Expressway in Harford [50 years ago]

As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, November 21, 1963:

More than 5,000 people were on hand to see President John F. Kennedy open the Northeastern Expressway. The President arrived via helicopter and then walked to a podium as the Delaware National Guard band played "Hail to The Chief." The President spoke for four minutes and remarked how the road "...symbolizes the partnership between the federal government and the states, which is essential to the progress of our people." Maryland Gov. J. Millard Tawes of Maryland and Delaware Gov. Elbert N. Carvel of Delaware along with President Kennedy took part in a ribbon-cutting ceremony and unveiled a replica of the Mason-Dixon stone in the median.


The first three days of the opening of the Northeastern Expressway saw an average of 15,000 vehicles a day. On Pulaski Highway and on Route 40, service stations and restaurants reported that their business was off by half over the course of the first week of the opening.

The Bel Air Chamber of Commerce was pursuing the addition of a medical center in or near Bel Air. The medical center would primarily be devoted to emergency care with a resident physician on duty 24 hours a day. The cost of building the medical center would be approximately $1.5 million with the operating expenses being $250,000 during the first two years.


U.S. District Attorney Joseph D. Tydings announced his resignation from his position. He was expected to announce his candidacy for the Democratic Senate nomination. Mr. Tydings was elected from Harford County to the Maryland House of Delegates and later he campaigned for President Kennedy, who named him U.S. Attorney for Maryland.

The house number assignments continued in the First Election District. It was hoped that before too long, appropriate numbering would expand over the entire county. The adoption of house numbering, instead of the old post office box system, helped with the proper location and delivery of the mail and aided emergency vehicles in finding homes during an emergency situation.

Bel Air Police Chief J. Vaughan McMahan was elected as the president of the Maryland Chiefs of Police Association. The purpose of the association was to secure a closer official and personal relationship among the law enforcement officers throughout Maryland, to consider and discuss methods of preventing and combating crime and to promote and improve good public relations.

Mrs. John D. Worthington and her sister, Mrs. Stanley S. Zimmerman of Steelton, Pa., drove to Gettysburg to attend the 100th anniversary celebration of the delivery of the Gettysburg address by then-President Lincoln. The two ladies were the granddaughters of the late Judge David Wills, in whose Gettysburg home President Lincoln was an overnight guest before making the famous address.

The Harford County Planning and Zoning Commission approved the preliminary development plan for the Joppatowne Shopping Center. The shopping center would be on 16 acres at the intersection of Joppa Farm Road and Route 40 with parking for 1,088 cars. The total area of the shopping center would be 702,222 square feet with an A&P supermarket occupying 19,500 square feet. A bowling alley would also be included in the new center.

In an ad for Woolworth's: America's Christmas Store, Colorful Greeting Cards, $1 a box, 32 gay greetings with glitter. Your Money's Worth more at Woolworth's, South Main Street, Bel Air.