As taken from the pages of The Aegis dated Thursday, February 20, 1964:
The Army planned to complete numerous building projects worth in excess of $10 million in Harford County 50 years ago. Both Edgewood Arsenal and Aberdeen Proving Grounds would benefit from the military construction bill. The proposed buildings for the Edgewood Arsenal facility included a clinical research building, a high pressure chemical research facility and an environmental hygiene agency building. The planned buildings for the Aberdeen Proving Grounds included two steel range control towers, a bombproof observation post, a weapons system laboratory and 100 family housing units.
A recent Supreme Court decision that a State's Congressional Districts must be as equal as possible in population left Harford County residents wondering what district they would be in. The population of Harford County greatly increased since the last redistricting and it changed from primarily rural to more suburban and urban living. It would benefit Harford to be made part of the Baltimore City/County congressional group rather than to be established as part of an Eastern Shore District.
Schools were closed this week for the fourth time this winter season due to the 11 inches of snow that fell across the county. It was the heaviest accumulation of snow so far in 1964.
Richard Whitall and A. Preston Lewis opened the Nixon-for-President office at 45 N. Main St. in Bel Air. Richard Nixon had not yet announced his candidacy, but the feeling throughout the country was that Nixon would be the Republican favorite in November 1964. This sentiment prompted the pair to initiate the opening of the campaign headquarters.
A nationwide survey conducted by the government disclosed that 68 percent of Harford County residents either drove to work in a private car or car pool. The remainder got to their jobs by other means. The purpose of the survey was to obtain information that would be useful in solving the nation's transportation problems which were getting worse every year.
Bel Air's radio station, WVOB, announced the winner of their first Valentine's Day Contest. Mr. and Mrs. William Evans of East Ring Factory Road completed the statement "My Valentine deserves the best because..." to win the ten prizes donated by local merchants. Their prizes consisted of a dozen roses from Magness Florists, a two-pound heart box of chocolates from Preston's Stationery, a new toaster from Lutz's, free pressing and cleaning from Bel Air Cleaners, baked ham from Peppi Simmeth Meats, a free lube and oil change from Glenn's Sunoco, a full course dinner for two from the Hickory Inn, free bowling from Bob Turley's Bowl, a hassock from Charles D. Johnson & Son and a Crown 7-transistor radio from Lafayette Radio Electronics. After receiving their winnings the Evans and their four children enjoyed a tour of the WVOB studios.
While doing some research in the office of the Register of Wills, Thomas Adams discovered the complete accounts and books of what is believed to be the first Building and Loan Association in Harford County. The institution was called Harford Mutual Building Association and was organized on Sept. 23, 1868. The depression of 1873 seemed to have had an effect on building in the community and the demand for loans declined. The organization finally closed in March 1875 with each stockholder receiving his appropriation of the remaining funds.