The Democratic Ledger, a newspaper printed in Havre de Grace, was purchased 50 years ago this week by The Shield Press, publishers of The Aegis. The two newspapers were immediately merged and future publications would be continued under the name of The Aegis. The Democratic Ledger was founded in 1897 by Elmer H. Pritchett in a frame building on Franklin Street in Havre de Grace. The paper was bought by Leo M. Moore in 1904. He edited and published the newspaper until the time of his death in January 1946. The Ledger had since been edited and published by his sons, M. Moore and Charles Moore, from a brick building constructed in 1933. The Moore family would continue to retain the commercial printing part of their business.