xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

Havre de Grace High School construction site fire caused by discarded smoking materials, officials say

Firefighters were able to contain a fire to a storage room at the new Havre de Grace High School building Friday on Lewis Lane, which was caused by discard smoking materials, according to the fire marshal’s office.

Construction workers smelled smoke and discovered smoke and flames within a storage room which was used as a temporary trash/waste room, according to a notice of investigation from the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Advertisement

A site superintendent tried to put out the fire with portable fire extinguishers, but was unsuccessful, the fire marshal said.

The fire was contained to the storage room with heavy smoke and soot damage throughout a portion of the building, according to the fire marshal’s office, which estimated the damage caused at approximately $20,000.

Advertisement
Advertisement

There was smoke throughout the building with first units arrived on the scene shortly after 1 p.m., Scott Hurst, chief of the Susquehanna Hose Company in Havre de Grace, said. Firefighters from Susquehanna Hose and the Aberdeen Fire Department were able to extinguish the fire in about 20 minutes.

No injuries were reported.

Hurst said construction workers at the site reported the fire, but that he didn’t believe anyone was working the area where the fire began.

Crews stayed on scene for approximately two hours to ensure the fire did not spread to other parts of the building, Hurst said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement