The Dublin Laundromat on the 3500 block of Conowingo Road in Street sustained moderate damage Friday afternoon after a dryer malfunction caused a fire. The flames spread to two adjoining dryers and some surrounding cabinetry, according to a report from the state fire marshal.
According to the official report, a customer discovered the fire after placing clothes inside the dryer. He left, then returned to observe flames within the drum. He then tried to extinguish the fire himself with two different extinguishers purchased from a nearby Dollar General.
Neither a smoke alarm nor a sprinkler system were present in the building.
The event caused roughly $50,000 worth of damage between structure and contents lost.
The one-alarm fire was contained in five minutes by 35 members of the Darlington Volunteer Fire Company. There were no injuries.