xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

Dog dies in Independence Day weekend house fire in Bel Air, officials report

A fire over Independence Day weekend caused $150,000 in damage to a Bel Air home and killed a family pet, the Office of the State Fire Marshal reported.

Firefighters responded to the 900 block of Jackson Boulevard in Bel Air around 6:04 p.m. Friday, July 2. A neighbor had discovered the blaze, and firefighters were able to control it in about 15 minutes, according to the fire marshal’s office.

Advertisement

Nobody was in the home when it burned, but a dog was inside the house. It was transported to a local vet, but did not survive, the office reported.

About $125,000 in damage was caused to the structure, and $25,000 worth of the home’s contents were damaged, the office reported.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver Alkire said the blaze was sparked by unknown combustibles set on top of an electric range in the kitchen. Alkire said the accident caused “pretty extensive damage,” and cautioned Marylanders to check to make sure their appliances are turned off before leaving the house.

“We always encourage everyone to always make sure your ranges, your stoves, are off, your candles are blown out,” Alkire said. “Just double check.”

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement