Advertisement
The Aegis
Harford County

Firefighter falls through second floor of building during Wednesday morning two-alarm fire in Aberdeen

A firefighter fell through the second-story of a building Wednesday morning while fighting a two-alarm fire in Aberdeen.

Advertisement

Firefighters responded at about 6:45 a.m. to the unit block of West Bel Air Avenue, said Aberdeen Fire Department Lt. Rebecca Roberts, who helped fight the fire.

There were flames on the second floor when crews arrived, she said. A two-alarm fire typically requires assistance from other departments and additional equipment.

Advertisement

“It went into a two-alarm after the mayday was called,” Roberts said. “One firefighter went through part of the floor on division two [the second floor] but was assisted by fire personnel on scene.”

The Morning Sun

The Morning Sun

Daily

Get your morning news in your e-mail inbox. Get all the top news and sports from the baltimoresun.com.

The firefighter, who is from Aberdeen Proving Ground, was evaluated by emergency medical services and was able to return to duty, according to a news release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal, which declined to name the firefighter. There were no other injuries.

There was water damage to the rooms on the first floor, Roberts said. Crews contained the fire to the two-story building, which houses an apartment and a variety of businesses next to Harford Bank.

The fire was discovered by occupants of the building’s second-story apartment. It took 55 firefighters from the Aberdeen Fire Dept., Aberdeen Proving Ground Fire and Emergency Services, and the Susquehanna, Level, Bel Air, Abingdon and Joppa-Magnolia fire companies about 30 minutes to control.

According to the Office of the State Fire Marshal, the cause of the fire was accidental, originating from an unspecified electrical failure and resulting in about $150,000 in damages. Most of the fire was contained to the floor and ceiling areas, but the rest of the building sustained significant damage from smoke, soot and water.

The multi-use building contained a hair-braiding business, a small church, a vacant storefront and an apartment on the second floor. Four occupants of the apartment are displaced as a result of the fire, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.


Advertisement