Edgewood man accused of stabbing boss who came to his home to check on him, police say

An Edgewood man is charged with attempted murder after he allegedly stabbed his boss in the back when his boss came to check on him Tuesday night, police said.

Daniel Soloman Mason, 32, of the 100 block of Reider Court, is charged with attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault and second-degree assault in connection to stabbing his boss, Antoine Darrell Gaines, of Baltimore.


Mason was arrested Tuesday night and taken to the Harford County Detention Center. He continues to be held there without bail after a hearing Thursday in Harford County District Court.

In an interview with police, Mason said he thought Gaines may have been going for a gun he kept in his car when he stabbed him, according to charging documents filed in Harford County District Court. And at his bail review hearing Thursday, assistant public defender Katrina Smith said the possible presence of a gun complicates the issue.


Kyle Andersen, a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office, said there was no evidence that Gaines had a weapon on him, or in his vehicle, at the time of the incident. According to the charging documents, however, Gaines said he told Mason that “he had a gun to stop him from coming after him," before Mason stabbed him with a kitchen knife.

In arguing for a reduced bail, Smith, said that more investigation was needed and that Mason was not a danger to the community.

“There is definitely a lot more that needs to come out, factually,” she said. “There are conditions that could be imposed on Mr. Mason to ensure the public’s safety.”

Judge Kerwin Miller Sr. agreed with the prosecution on the crime’s seriousness but left open the possibility for another bail review hearing as more information comes to light.

“I will be more than willing to entertain a second bail review,” he said as the hearing drew to a close.

Sheriff’s deputies were called to the University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air around 9:15 p.m. Tuesday for the report of a patient with a stab wound.

Gaines, 35, told them he had been stabbed by Mason. Gaines' injuries were not life-threatening and he was released after being treated, according to charging documents.

Gaines was Mason’s supervisor at the Edgewood Popeye’s restaurant, and told police he went to check on Mason’s well-being after trying to call him in for a shift at the restaurant, according to charging documents.

The two exchanged messages on Facebook, but Gaines said he became worried after Mason stopped replying, so he drove to Mason’s home on Reider Court in Edgewood, according to the documents.

Gaines told police Mason met him outside and that Mason seemed intoxicated or acting irrational, according to the documents.

Gaines went to his vehicle and told Mason he had a gun to stop him from coming after him, according to the documents. That’s when Mason plunged a kitchen-style knife into Gaines' back, then fled into the woods behind the apartment, documents state.

When interviewed by deputies, Mason had a different version of events. He sent Gaines a Facebook message that he could not go into work that day because he was not feeling well and did not want to get others sick, according to the court documents.


Mason told police he fell asleep and that Gaines “became irate” in the Facebook messages. After Mason woke up, he and Gaines “exchanged words” before Gaines called him out to the parking lot of Mason’s apartment complex, he told police.

Mason said he took a kitchen knife to meet his boss because “he was afraid of what might happen,” according to the documents. He told police he thought Gaines was going to his car for his gun "that [Mason] knows [Gaines] keeps in a brown bag with him,” the documents state.

Mason told police he stabbed Gaines and then ran, according to the documents. Police later recovered the knife at Mason’s residence, the documents state.

Both Gaines and Mason told police they’d not had any problems with each other before Tuesday’s incident, according to the documents.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun