An Aberdeen man was charged over the weekend with attempted murder and robbery charges after allegedly assaulting another man with a knife, police said.

Monte C. McDaniel, 50, of the 100 block of Old Post Road, is charged with attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery and first- and second-degree assault. He is being held without bail at the Harford County Detention Center.


He also sought charges against the man he allegedly assaulted, Jamel Gunn, of Aberdeen, according to court records.

Aberdeen Police received two calls around 9:45 p.m. last Friday about a fight with a knife and possible robbery.

The first officer to arrive saw a man wearing jeans, white shoes and no shirt covered in blood; he was later identified as McDaniel and detained in a police car.

Gunn was found to the rear of a house in the first block of East Bel Air Avenue in Aberdeen. He was bleeding profusely from multiple deep stab wounds and cuts to his left wrist and forearm, according to charging documents.

He was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore in critical condition.

Before leaving, Gunn told police he was walking on Post Road when he heard a man, McDaniel, ask for a cigarette. Gunn refused and kept walking. McDaniel became irate and allegedly demanded money and when Gunn refused again, McDaniel allegedly punched Gunn in the head, face and neck, then allegedly pulled out a knife and began swinging it at him.

McDaniel allegedly pulled down Gunn’s pants, searching for money, then left, according to charging documents.

Police found a black and red folding knife on Post Road that matched the one Gunn described.

Two witnesses said they were in bed when they heard the commotion outside and said one of the men kept yelling “give me my money,” according to charging documents.

They said they saw a man hitting another man lying on the ground, and said the suspect held down his victim with one hand while allegedly slashing and punching him with the knife in the other hand.

One witness said Gunn looked lifeless, “like a ragdoll," and the entire assault lasted four to five minutes.

Surveillance camera footage from the house Gunn was found behind was consistent with the witnesses’ statements.

In his application for charges to be served via summons, McDaniel said Gunn assaulted him, “by punching me numerous times in the face, throwing me to the ground, stomping on my hands causing my fingers to be broken and fractured.” He also allegedly hit him in the mouth loosening his teeth, which can only be fixed with surgery. Gunn also allegedly pulled a knife, McDaniel said.

McDaniel said Gunn has pulled a knife on him before and threatened him before and he’s scared of him, according to charging documents.


In the summons, which had not been served as of Wednesday evening, Gunn is charged with second-degree assault.