xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

House fire in Aberdeen caused by overloaded extension cord, investigators say

An Aberdeen house fire Wednesday evening was sparked by an overloaded extension cord, according to investigators.

The fire, reported by a neighbor shortly after 5 p.m. in the 900 block of Edmund Street, caused approximately $100,000 in damages to the split foyer, single-family house, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal. No one was injured in the fire.

Advertisement

About 40 firefighters, primarily from the Aberdeen Volunteer Fire Company, responded to the fire and it took them about 10 minutes to get it under control, according to the fire marshal. The Susquehanna Hose Company in Havre de Grace also responded to the fire, according to its Facebook page.

Investigators said the fire started when an overloaded and coiled up extension cord ignited a large pile of clothes that was on top of it in the house’s bedroom.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The fire marshal’s office, in a statement, reminded people to not overload extension cords or to place rugs or other items over them. The cords can be easily damaged while being walked on and since they are out of view, so is the damage, leaving exposed wires that can cause a fire.

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article included an error in the fire marshal’s recommendation. It has been updated to reflect accurate information.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement