Men's Basketball: Green Terror take down ranked Red Devils

The McDaniel men's basketball team has had some big wins over nationally ranked opponents on their home court over the past several seasons.

It had a chance for another one against No. 21 Dickinson at Gill Center on Tuesday night in its Centennial Conference opener. And in a close, competitive game with the Red Devils, the Green Terror again knocked off a tough conference foe.


Tim Stewart scored 27 points to power McDaniel to a 66-56 win. The senior forward went 11 for 15 from the field, while senior guard Wes Brooks added 19 points on 6-for-8 shooting.

"It was a good effort by our group," Terror coach Kevin Curley said. "Our guys played extremely hard, we played very well defensively, and I can't really ask for much more effort than they put out tonight. That was terrific."

McDaniel (3-1, 1-0 Centennial) surged ahead in the final five minutes. Stewart sank a pair of free throws to put the Green Terror ahead 50-48 with 4 minutes, 56 seconds remaining. Brooks then scored transition layups on back-to-back possessions off of steals, pushing McDaniel's lead to six with 3:48 to go.

Dickinson (1-3, 0-1) held close in the final minutes, but Cameron Royster finished a layup against contact with 55 seconds to go, pushing McDaniel's lead to 60-52.

The Terror hit some free throws, their defense held strong, and they opened the conference slate with a statement win.

"We started off slow, then we started to slow down and make good passes," Stewart said. "We really got what we wanted."

Stewart was a first team all-conference selection last season and was McDaniel's top scorer, averaging 15.6 points per game. Through the first four games this year, the senior is at 16.5 points a game.

"He played tremendous," Curley said. "It was impressive. A couple times they tried to double-team him and he went up over the double team and scored. He stepped up and made some big plays."

Kevin Yrizarry pulled down a team-high 11 rebounds and Stewart had nine, while Royster added five assists.

Dickinson's Justus Melton scored 16 points on 8-for-9 shooting and Jule Brown added 13.

However, McDaniel forced the Red Devils to make 16 turnovers, with the Terror nabbing nine steals and getting three blocks. The Red Devils were 4 for 20 from long range.

"I heard them talking on the court, it was like they just wanted to shoot 3s, it was like, 'There it is, boys,'" Stewart said. "I felt like they weren't aggressive enough and we just took advantage of that."

The Green Terror jumped out to a 9-4 lead in the opening five minutes. Stewart scored the first five points, making a post-up layup less than two minutes in, then hitting a 3-pointer from the right wing off a dish from Yrizarry a minute later.

Brooks pushed McDaniel's lead to 14-9 with 13:27 to go in the first half when he drilled a 3-pointer from the left side. But then, the Terror went just over four minutes before scoring again.


That gave Dickinson the chance to tie the game at 14-14 when Moses Romocki hit a 3 from the right corner at the midway point of the half. The Red Devils surged ahead before halftime, outscoring McDaniel 12-9 in the final 10 minutes.

Romocki scored on a layup with 1:48 to go before the break to put Dickinson up 26-23, which held until the half.

Stewart led McDaniel in the first half, scoring 13 points on 6-for-7 shooting. The senior forward's lone miss came in the final seconds of the first half. Yrizarry added nine rebounds, six on offense, in the opening 20 minutes, but was just 2 for 9 from the field.

Last season, the Green Terror beat Dickinson and Franklin & Marshall at home when both opponents were ranked in the Division III Top 25.

But neither of those wins came until January or later. This time, McDaniel notched a big win in late November.

"It's a long season, we've got 17 more [conference] games to go and a lot can happen between now and later," Curley said. "For now, that's a good step, it gives these guys some confidence."

NOTE: Manchester Valley graduate Austin Cannon scored five points for McDaniel, the first points of his collegiate career. Cannon hit a 3-pointer with 8:40 to go, later knocking down a pair of free throws in the final minute.