Boys Soccer: Liberty, Munson hang on to top Gerstell

Carter Munson Soccer

The season was moving along quite nicely for the Gerstell boys soccer team until Liberty derailed it just a bit Saturday morning.

Liberty ended Gerstell's three-game winning streak with a 4-3 victory over the host Falcons.


The Lions (2-2) made it clear they were eager for a triumph.

"It's our first regular-season win," said Liberty coach Dave Abarbanel, noting his team beat Urbana and lost to Tuscaraora in the River Hill tournament Sept. 9 before losing to Marriotts Ridge on Sept. 11. "It's good to build confidence and momentum. We have a game Monday against Thomas Johnson and we open county play Tuesday against Winters Mill at home."

Liberty senior forward and captain Carter Munson keyed the win with two goals over Gerstell, a team that beat St. Mary's of Annapolis on Friday night in Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association play.

Munson netted what proved to be the game-winner with 23:21 remaining in the second half.

"He almost scored an amazing third goal, too, that hit the crossbar," Abarbanel said of Munson's shot late in the second half. "He might not be the most technical player, but he is a very talented player and he has an innate ability to really outwork his opponents."

Abarbanel and Gerstell coach Ashley Murphy also have a lot of respect for another player, senior Nate Dresin, who scored two goals. Dresin now has six goals and eight assists in six games.

"He is a fantastic soccer player," Murphy said. "The team game we have implemented is freeing him up. In the past, I think they were very one dimensional and they just would go to [Dresin]."

Gerstell had the best scoring chance early in a five-goal first half.

Seth Higgins got behind two Liberty defenders, but his shot was saved by Liberty goalie Justin Ricketts.

Liberty took a 1-0 lead with 29:40 remaining. Sophomore Shane Ervin converted a penalty kick, which was awarded to the Lions after Anthony Goad was tripped inside the 18-yard penalty box.

Ervin's shot caromed of the left post to the right corner of the goal.

Gerstell made it 1-1 when Dresin hustled to a loose near the goal and beat Ricketts.

With 9:50 to go, Sedney saved Munson's shot from six yards out, but the forward was there to knock in the rebound for a 2-1 Liberty lead.

Malachi Darden scored on a breakaway about two minutes later to tie it at 2-2.


Alex Spratt had Liberty's third goal to put the Lions ahead for good.

In the second half, Gerstell goalie Brennan Sedney had to leave the game with a knee injury with 27:37 remaining after colliding just inside the box with Quinn McLaughlin, who received a yellow card.

Murphy moved forward Seth Higgins into goal to replace him. Higgins would be tested about minutes later and Munson boosted a shot into the left corner from about 30 yards out to push Liberty's advantage to 4-2.

Dreslin scored his second goal of the game on an indirect kick with 21:29 left to trim the deficit to one.

"We showed we can compete at the Carroll County public school level," said Murphy, whose team was outshot, 13-5. "The difference is the majority of our team are freshmen and sophomores. Liberty's roster is stacked with juniors and seniors. We matched them for the game."

Goals: L- Carter Munson 2, Shane Ervin, Alex Spratt; G-Nate Dresin 2, Malachi Dardin.

Assists: L- Erwins, Mark Maskill; G-Dresin.

Saves: L-1 (Justin Ricketts); G-4 ( Brennan Sedney 2, Seth Higgins 2).

Halftime: Liberty, 3-2.