Long before such renowned ice cream emporiums as Hoffman's (1947) and Baugher's (1948) opened in Carroll County, Hering wrote, "Ice cream was hardly known to the people of Westminster in 1851. Mary Behoe, an old colored woman kept a little in her cake shop near the forks. Later places were opened by Jonathan Creager in the basement of Carroll Hall and Mrs. James Keefer had a place on Main Street, later. The quality was poor. The quantity small, and the price was amazingly large. No milk was sold on the streets at that time or for many years thereafter. Several years afterwards John Englar, a farmer, entered upon the business, running a wagon and supplying customers as at present."