A mother, her sons and a family friend were arrested Thursday after a confrontation that ended with an assault on a Maryland State Police trooper in the bathroom of the Mount Airy Walmart.

Traci Conners, 42, of the 1400 block of Key Highway in Frederick, and her sons Jacob Conners, 17, and Steven Conners, 19, both of the 13000 block of West Annapolis Court in Mount Airy, were each charged with second-degree assault of a police officer.


Jacob Conners, who is being charged as an adult, also faces charges of second-degree assault and carrying a concealed dangerous weapon; Steven Conners is also charged with second-degree assault and hindering; and Traci Conners and Emily Anthony, 19, of the 1300 block of Manor Drive in Mount Airy, are each charged with one count of disorderly conduct.

Trooper Johnathan Horner of the state police Westminster Barrack responded to a report of a road rage incident, arriving in the 200 block of East Ridgeville Boulevard near the Walmart at about 1 p.m. Thursday.

There, he spoke with the Conners family and Anthony, a family friend, according to Maryland State Police spokesman Greg Shipley, but was unable to determine the aggressor in the road rage incident.

During the investigation, a citizen began recording the incident, according to police, and Traci Conners assaulted the citizen verbally, then physically. As Horner attempted to stop her, Jacob Conners attacked him, then ran into the Walmart, police said.

Horner followed Jacob Conners into the store and discovered him in the bathroom attempting to flush brass knuckles and a knife down the toilet, police said.

While Horner placed Jacob Conners under arrest and handcuffed him, Traci and Steven Conners entered the bathroom and began attacking Horner, police said, with Jacob Conners joining the attack, allegedly kicking Horner in the head several times while handcuffed.

Additional law enforcement arrived on the scene shortly thereafter and Traci, Steven and Jacob Conners, as well as Anthony, were arrested and taken to the Carroll County Detention Center, where they were awaiting processing as of 5:30 p.m. Thursday.

Horner was taken to Carroll Hospital Center for treatment. Shipley did not have an update on his condition as of 5:30 p.m. Thursday.