Advertisement

Stone Road fire causes $125K in damages

Stone Road fire causes $125K in damages
Firefighters extinguish hot spots that rekindled the morning after a fire tore through the garage of a home in the 3700 block of Stone Road near Taneytown Monday, April 11, 2016. (DYLAN SLAGLE/STAFF PHOTO / Carroll County Times)

No one was injured in a garage fire in the 3700 block of Stone Road that caused more than $125,000 in total damages Sunday night.

The fire is under investigation by the Office of the State Fire Marshal. It took about 40 firefighters roughly 45 minutes to control the blaze. Taneytown was the primary department handling the fire, according to the fire marshal's notice of investigation.

Advertisement

After the initial call at 10:24 p.m., firefighters from Taneytown, Littlestown, Pleasant Valley, Harney, Union Bridge and New Oxford fire companies battled the blaze until 1:30 a.m., according to Taneytown Volunteer Fire Company Public Information Officer Thomas Hogg.

Hogg said that while there was significant damage to the structure, there was no loss of life.

No one was injured in a garage fire in the 3700 block of Stone Road that caused more than $125,000 in total damages Sunday night.
No one was injured in a garage fire in the 3700 block of Stone Road that caused more than $125,000 in total damages Sunday night. (Michael Jordan/Submitted photo)

"It's very fortunate," he said.

The fire began in the attached garage of the two-story single-family dwelling owned by Eileen and John Clark, according to the notice.

The Clarks were the first to notice the garage fire, Eileen Clark said.

"There was almost like an explosion," she said.

Clark's husband jumped up and saw the fire, and told her to call 911, she said.

The family's neighbors housed them while firefighters attacked the blaze, she said.

The garage is a total loss. The family also lost a 1946 Chevrolet truck and a John Deere lawn mower that they had gotten last year, in addition to other items in the garage.

"It's pretty terrible, but we're all alive," she said.

In addition to losing the garage and all of its contents, there was some damage to the house, mostly from smoke, Clark said.

The Clarks are currently living in a hotel until they are allowed to move back into the house. It has to be declared safe and then cleaned due to the smoke, she said.

The Clarks' cat was inside of the house during the fire and had to be rescued by firefighters. She is OK, but Clark will take her to the vet to get her checked out for possible smoke inhalation, she said.

"The firemen did a wonderful job," she said.

Advertisement

Anyone with additional information is asked to call 410-386-3057.

Advertisement
Advertisement