No humans or fish were injured Monday morning when an electrical outlet that had a fish tank plugged into it overloaded and filled a room with smoke.
Emergency personnel responded to the 400 block of Windy Knoll Drive in Mount Airy shortly after 11 a.m. Monday and it was determined that the source of the smoke was an electrical outlet that may have short-circuited in a second-floor room, according to Mount Airy Volunteer Fire Company spokesman Doug Alexander.
Approximately 34 personnel from Mount Airy and Sykesville as well as Howard, Frederick and Montgomery counties responded to the scene and had the situation under control within 15 or 20 minutes, Alexander said.
The fish survived the incident and first-responders also rescued a lizard that escaped. Four cats fled the scene and were still missing when the firefighters left, according to Alexander.
Damage was limited to one small area in the room around the outlet and the house is livable, Alexander said.
The exact cause of the incident has not been determined and Alexander said any number of conditions can contribute to an overloaded or shorting electrical outlet, including wires exposed to sunlight that become dry and cracked and the age of the electronics.