Taneytown man charged with attempted murder

Taneytown man charged with attempted murder

A Taneytown man has been charged with attempted first-degree murder after he allegedly tried to shoot a farmhand on his nephew's farm last spring.

Ronald Lamar Few, 66, of the 3800 block of Fringer Road, was released from the Carroll County Detention Center on $10,000 bail Tuesday after being held for allegedly shooting three bullets at a barn on his nephew's farm that was being used as a living space by farmhand Ross Stonesifer, according to charging documents filed in Carroll County District Court.


Police arrested Few on Monday, Jan. 4, for the incident, which occurred April 29. He was charged with eight counts, including attempted first-degree murder, reckless endangerment and first-degree assault.

Four days prior to the April incident, Few allegedly told his nephew, John Few, that he wanted to kill Stonesifer because he stole prescription pills from him, according to charging documents.

During the investigation, Ronald Few disputed those claims, telling police that he said that "somebody ought to kill him," and that he did not say he would, according to the documents.

Few could not be reached for comment at his home Tuesday.

Stonesifer came to the nephew on April 29, saying someone had shot three bullets into the door of the barn while he was watching television. Ronald Few called the next day asking if his nephew called the police and told him, unprompted, that he didn't "shoot the holes in the door," charging documents state.

Police searching the scene found three small bullet holes in the center of the barn's door, with exit holes on the opposite site of the barn. They also found two .22 caliber shell casings that matched a gun in Few's possession, police said in charging documents.

The gun was registered to Few's daughter, according to the charging documents, and he was not allowed to own firearms due to a 1983 conviction for battery.

Few is not allowed to contact Stonesifer and will have to attend an alcohol program, according to court documents.

While the incident happened in April, the investigation continued over a couple of months in order to gather enough details to bring the case to the State's Attorney's Office, said Cpl. John Light, a spokesman for the Carroll County Sheriff's Office.

"This was one of those that took a little longer to get all of the details to bring it forward," Light said.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb. 2.