A two-alarm house fire in the 3800 block of Yellowstone Court in Hampstead resulted in what investigators considered a total loss of the dwelling Sunday evening. No injuries were reported.
Chuck Fusco, spokesman for the Hampstead volunteer fire company, said multiple people called just before 5:30 p.m. to report the fire. The Hampstead volunteer fire company was the first to arrive on scene and noted heavy fire.
The two-alarm fire brought about 14 fire companies to the scene who worked for approximately 50 minutes to control the fire.
Fusco was thankful that no injuries were reported to occupants or firefighters.
“We’re very fortunate that none of our folks were injured fighting it,” he said. “For the amount of fire that was there when units first arrived … it was strong work by the initial crews to knock it back.”
The single-family dwelling sustained an estimated loss of to structure and contents of approximately $225,000, according to a notice of investigation from the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants of the home.
A family friend of the home's occupants created a GoFundMe campaign to help them get back on their feet. The campaign can be found at www.gofundme.com/floto-house-fire."
The preliminary cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, caused by a lithium battery explosion. An occupant of the home was working on a project involving multiple lithium batteries when two battery terminals touched, “creating an explosion which led the other batteries to explode and ignite nearby combustibles,” according to the notice. Despite efforts by the occupants to extinguish the flames with fire extinguishers, they spread quickly.