Who was Amy Metz?

What happened to Amy Metz the Hampstead woman who was found in the snow on Jan. 24, 2016 near her home on Wellesley Court? Through a Public Information Act request, the Carroll County Times obtained the sheriff’s office investigation reports.

Amy Carol Schuerholz Metz was born on July 27, 1972.

“She was always a fun person to be around,” said Susan Peters, her sister. “She was always smiling. She was a great listener. She always let you know, she made great eye contact, she smiled at you and she always made you feel good about yourself.


“She was able to cheer me up. She was just a great person to be around. She was just very optimistic and happy and loved life.”

Metz was a runner who had participated in several marathons, half-marathons and other races. She loved music and had a different song for every mood.

“It’s hard to get in the car and listen to the radio and not hear a song that reminds you of Amy,” Peters said.

Metz was one of six siblings in a family that was sewn together by the marriage of her mother, Jane Scholtes, to William Scholtes when Amy was 13. Peters and Mimi Gregory are Amy’s biological sisters while brothers Christopher and J.P. Scholtes and sister Annie Quenzer are step-siblings.

“We consider ourselves just siblings — because we’ve been together since 1986,” Quenzer said.

Their parents’ honeymoon to the Outer Banks in North Carolina was the setting for one of Chris Scholtes’ fondest memories of Amy because the siblings got to tag along. He was about 17 at the time, he said.

“And as soon as we got to the beach the first thing she did was take off and just started running toward the ocean and dove through a wave, which was a lot bolder thing than I would have done right away,” he said. “I just have that memory in my head, and I remember she got up out of the wave and turned around and said, ‘Come on, what are you waiting for? Let’s go.’ And I remember standing there like ‘Wow, this girl is full of life. This is going to be a wonderful new family.’ ”

Stepfather William Scholtes said he remembers the first time he met Amy, when she was 11. He also remembers taking her to get her driver’s license in Glen Burnie and when he walked her down the aisle on her wedding day, when she married Michael Metz.

In a prepared statement sent to the Times, Michael Metz described his relationship with Amy as one with a lot of love and he called her the “center of my universe.”

Michael and Amy Metz.
Michael and Amy Metz. (Courtesy / Michael Metz)

“Amy and I were never more in love or happier with each other, and the life we had built together, than we were on the night she died. And we were always happy, and always very much in love,” he said in the statement.

Michael Metz said that he and Amy dated on and off since high school. They were engaged when he was 22 and she was turning 21, and married when he was 23 and she was 22. The two rarely fought or disagreed, he said in the statement.

“I was proud of Amy for the person she was and for her many accomplishments, and every day I felt fortunate to be an important part of her life. Amy felt the same about me. Together, we were raising three beautiful children in the most loving and supportive environment you can imagine,” Metz said in the statement.

Amy Metz’s siblings talked about her love of dogs and her love for her family. She was big on family reunions, both with her immediate and extended family.


“Family was her life,” Quenzer said.

Cousin Lorelei Schuerholz said the extended family had lost touch after Amy’s biological father died, but Amy reached out and reconnected the families. And Amy’s siblings spoke about a yearly vacation the siblings and their parents took each year.

“It was so much fun. As we said, she was the focal point. She brought us together,” J.P. Scholtes said.

And Amy loved her three children. She was an amazing mother, he said. The kids were her top priority, added Gregory.

“Amy was an amazingly devoted mother,” Michael Metz said in a statement to the Times. “She showered our children with love, affection, and attention. Amy was and continues to be a role model to our kids in very many respects, exhibiting kindness, patience, persistence, and a devotion to her family as well as her passions. The kids adored her, just as she adored them.” He also said via email that their children did not wish to comment.

Amy Metz was very proud of her kids, and she always wanted to do activities with them, Peters said. Amy often talked about her kids’ schooling or helping them with schoolwork. She always had stories and “took thousands of pictures,” which were often posted on Facebook, she said.

“She made Facebook fun,” Peters said.

The night of the party, before her death, she was planning for the future, neighbor Charlene D’Agati said in an email.

“Amy made plans that night to volunteer to rock babies born with addiction at a hospital, take a group trip to Key West to run a marathon, make dinner for us the following weekend, take in foster children once her kids were older, among other things. She was very happy and energetic. She and Mike were sharing stories about their recent trip to Key West, and making plans for one the following year,” D’Agati said via email. “We miss her every day, and no one misses her more than her husband and children.”

Driving on Wellesley Court on a clear day, it’s nearly impossible to visualize the events of January 2016. Instead of police walking the neighborhood, it’s children. And driving down the road, it’s impossible to tell where Amy Metz collapsed. There’s no marker, no sign, just an empty road with green grass bordering it on one side and a couple of houses on the other.

But for Amy’s sibling and loved ones, what transpired on Jan. 24, 2016, left a hole in their lives.

“It’s just an everyday struggle from the time you go to bed at night knowing you just went through another day and then waking up in the morning knowing that Amy’s not here. And not knowing anything or why it happened or how it happened,” Gregory said.

Not having answers has made it difficult for the family to be able to accept her death and begin the process of moving on, she said.

“It’s just very hard to understand why she’s not here. There’s just a lot of questions that are not answered. A lot of unanswered questions and a lot of questionable answers,” Gregory said.

Peters said the family members often text each other in the middle of the night when they are awakened by a thought of Amy Metz’s death.


“We’ve all mourned differently,” Peters said. “There are different stages of mourning. But how we lost Amy, there are no stages, there’s just different stuff.”

William Scholtes said Amy called her mother almost every day, sometimes more than once a day. While William Scholtes and his wife, Jane, saw Amy and her family often enough, day-to-day interactions occurred over the phone because Amy was in Hampstead and her parents were in North Carolina.

When Amy died, the phone calls stopped. William Scholtes described the silence.

“That’s the way the loss feels and looks for us,” he said.