With the frigid temperatures on Wednesday, Dec. 13, a reminder that warming centers are open and available throughout Carroll County.
Carroll County’s Department of Citizen Services operate six warming centers around the county, and Carroll County Public Library branches are also be open and available to anyone in need of a warm place. All residents who are vulnerable to extreme cold and who do not have sufficient heat in their homes are encouraged to seek warmth in any of the following locations until the close of business:
Warming centers are open during regular business hours at county senior centers and the Department of Citizen Services. Locations and times are:
- Citizen Services Office Building, 10 Distillery Drive, Westminster (8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday);
- Mount Airy Senior and Community Center, 703 Ridge Avenue, Mount Airy (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday);
- North Carroll Senior and Community Center, 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday);
- South Carroll Senior and Community Center, 5928 Mineral Hill Road, Eldersburg (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday);
- Taneytown Senior and Community Center, 220 Roberts Mill Road, Taneytown (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday);
- Westminster Senior and Community Center, 125 Stoner Ave., Westminster (8a.m. - 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday).
All branches of the Carroll County Public Library System will also be open as warming centers during regular business hours, Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 8:45 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m.
- On Our Own (410-751-6600) provides a community center at 265 East Main Street, Westminster. Hours vary and are available at www.onourownofcarrollcounty.org.
- Stores, malls, restaurants
- Neighbor's home
For after-hours cold shelter needs: Human Services Programs (HSP) of Carroll County, Inc. operates a Cold Weather Shelter at 127 Stoner Avenue, Westminster overnight from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. during the cold weather season. Information about the Cold Weather Shelter can be obtained by calling 410-857-8473. In times when overflow space is needed, HSP has partnered with the Westminster Rescue Mission to provide transportation to a limited number of alternative overnight accommodations.