xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

Shed burns down in Westminster after wood ash left in compost bin, fire marshal finds

Firefighters work to extinguish a shed fire in the unit block of Liberty Street in Westminster Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019.
Firefighters work to extinguish a shed fire in the unit block of Liberty Street in Westminster Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019. (Dylan Slagle)

Three fire companies responded to a shed fire in Westminster on Wednesday morning, putting it out with no injuries reported.

The fire occurred in the unit block of Liberty Street. According to Lt. Marques Price of the Westminster fire company, firefighters from Westminster responded to a report of a house fire at 10:44 a.m. and found a 10-by-10-foot shed well engulfed, with fire spreading to the fence and woodline behind the Liberty Street home.

Advertisement

The blaze was extinguished without incident, and no injuries were reported. The shed was left almost entirely burned down, though.

According to the Office of the State Fire Marshal, preliminary cause of the fire was accidental, as a result of wood ash that was discarded into a compost bin. The fire marshal estimated the value of the loss at $15,000 total.

Advertisement
Advertisement

No arrests were made as a result of the fire, according to the fire marshal.

Firefighters put out the fire in about 10 minutes, according to Josh Evans, a Westminster fire company spokesperson. Neighbors discovered the fire, according to the fire marshal.

About 20 firefighters from Westminster, Reese and New Windsor responded to the fire.

Mary Grace Keller contributed to this story.

Firefighters work to extinguish a shed fire in the unit block of Liberty Street in Westminster Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019.
Firefighters work to extinguish a shed fire in the unit block of Liberty Street in Westminster Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019. (Dylan Slagle)

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement