A chimney fire is blamed for a working fire that broke out in a Taylorsville home in the 3900 block of Ridge Road on Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 30.
No humans suffered injuries, but five pet cats and a dog died as a result of the fire, according to the notice of investigation by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, which called the preliminary cause “accidental — chimney fire.”
About 50 firefighters were on scene, and the fire was put under control within 20 minutes, said Winfield fire Chief Mark Davis.
A rapid intervention dispatch was called and tankers hauled water from Taylorsville for the firefighting operations. Davis said the cold temperatures Wednesday did not hamper the firefighting operations, through they did affect cleanup at the end when some equipment froze.
Units were dispatched at 3:40 p.m. from Winfield, New Windsor, Mount Airy, Sykesville and Libertytown.
According to the fire marshal, approximately $60,000 in damage to the structure and $20,000 in damage was done by the fire to the contents of the one-story masonry and wood single-family dwelling with basement.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family.