An early morning fire on Littlestown Pike displaced five occupants of two second story apartments, according to the Pleasant Valley Fire Company.
Authorities were alerted to a building fire in the 2800 block of Littlestown Pike (Md. 97) just before 5 a.m. Wednesday, said Charles Simpson, a spokesman for the Pleasant Valley Fire Company. The first firefighters arrived on scene at 5:04 a.m. to find smoke on the second floor of a commercial building, he added.
Twenty-five firefighters from a host of fire companies including Westminster, New Windsor, Reese, Taneytown, Manchester, Hampstead and three Pennsylvania departments controlled the blaze and smoke within 40 minutes (5:44 a.m.), Simpson said. Maryland State Police directed traffic while fire crews controlled the scene.
The wood frame building’s first floor commercial space is vacant — formerly a sandwich shop — but two second floor apartments are currently occupied, Simpson said. “We had some smoke and fire between the first and second floor,” he said.
After the fire the building was not safe for its five occupants to return because of smoke, Simpson said. The American Red Cross was summoned to help the displaced occupants, he added.
The fire originated in the living room of one of the second floor apartments and caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to the structure and the building’s contents, according to a Notice of Investigation from the Office of the State Fire Marshal.
The fire marshal preliminarily deemed the fire to be accidental, having been sparked by an “electrical event within the floor assembly,” the notice detailed.
None of the residents or any firefighters were injured, Simpson added.
“We were very fortunate in that [the fire] was before the snow hit,” Simpson said. “Plus, we were just ahead of a lot of the morning commute traffic.”