xml:space="preserve">
xml:space="preserve">
Advertisement
Advertisement

No injuries following accidental Manchester fire

A one-alarm fire in a Manchester home broke out Thursday morning and was controlled without causing any injuries.
A one-alarm fire in a Manchester home broke out Thursday morning and was controlled without causing any injuries. (Courtesy photo / Office of the State Fire Marshal)

No injuries were reported as a result of a fire Thursday morning that brought about 50 firefighters to the 3000 block of Westminster Street in Manchester, officials said.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal lists the preliminary cause as accidental, with wood stove ashes being disposed of in a plastic bucket, and was discovered by one of the home’s occupants.

Advertisement

Fire Prevention Week has been observed on the Sunday through Saturday period in which October 9 falls since 1922. The week was established to commemorate the Great Chicago Fire, a tragic 1871 conflagration that killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless, destroyed more than 17,400 structures and burned more than 2,000 acres. The fire began on October 8, but continued into and did most of its damage on October 9, 1871. Manchester Fire Department organizes a program every year.

The first call went out at 6:40 a.m. and the fire was under control after about 25 minutes. The Manchester volunteer fire company was the primary responding department.

The fire marshal estimates about $50,000 in damage to the structure and contents of the home.

Advertisement

The American Red Cross is assisting the family affected by the fire.

Recommended on Baltimore Sun

Advertisement
Advertisement