Advertisement

Finksburg doghouse fire likely started by pig's blanket extinguished after spreading to house

A doghouse in Finksburg went up in flames Wednesday afternoon, believed to be due to an electric heating blanket. The fire spread the the siding of the house before firefighters quickly extinguished it.
A doghouse in Finksburg went up in flames Wednesday afternoon, believed to be due to an electric heating blanket. The fire spread the the siding of the house before firefighters quickly extinguished it. (Courtesy Photo / Kylee Zbignewich)

A fire in a doghouse spread to a house in Finksburg on Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 23, but was extinguished quickly.

Preliminary finding show the fire appears to have originated from a heating blanket inside the doghouse for a pet potbelly pig, Reese volunteer fire company spokesman Robin Stansbury said.

Advertisement

There were no injuries, Stansbury said, to humans or to the pet pig.

The first call went out at 2:40 p.m. for a fire in a doghouse in the 2800 block of Lawndale Road, but the call was upgraded to a house fire when the fire spread to the siding of a house, according to Stansbury. The fire’s extension to the house was minor, he said.

The fire was extinguished quickly by about 15 firefighters and no injuries were reported, he said. The call was in Reese volunteer fire company’s service area and Reese was assisted by emergency responders from Gamber, Hampstead and Reisterstown.

Stansbury encouraged people to be careful when using items with electrical heating sources that could become a fire hazard.

“We don’t want people to lose their homes and belongings in super cold weather,” he said.

Crews removed siding to make sure that fire hadn't spread further into a Finksburg home after the adjacent doghouse caught fire Wednesday afternoon.
Crews removed siding to make sure that fire hadn't spread further into a Finksburg home after the adjacent doghouse caught fire Wednesday afternoon. (Courtesy Photo / Kylee Zbignewich)
Advertisement
Advertisement