The Office of the State Fire Marshal stated that discarded smoking materials was the cause of an accidental fire in a second-floor bedroom of a townhouse in Hampstead Monday night.
Almost exactly 24 hours after a fire destroyed a home in the same town Sunday, a bedroom fire on the 4800 block of Hillock Lane was called into the Hampstead volunteer fire company at 5:48 p.m. on Oct. 8.
Dispatchers arrived at the scene within minutes, according to the company’s public information officer, Chuck Fusco, and the fire was under control within 20 minutes.
Approximately eight fire companies responded to the fire, the first arriving from Hampstead, Manchester and Baltimore County. When responders saw it was a working fire, additional units — including Reese and Glyndon — were dispatched.
The office estimated total damages to be approximately $50,000, about $30,000 in damages to the structure and $20,000 in loss of contents, according to a notice of investigation from the fire marshal’s office issued Tuesday morning. There were no injuries.
A smoke alarm was present and working and a sprinkler system activated, according to the fire marshal’s office.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Northeast Regional Office at 410-836-4844 or submit tips online at mdosfm.wixsite.com/blog.