There is no known record of the exact fire that prompted a group of New Windsor residents to come together in 1908 and organize a volunteer fire company.
Members of the newly formed New Windsor Fire & Hose Company No. 1 purchased 500 feet of hose, two nozzles and two hose reels from the Frederick fire company. Charles T. Repp built a hook and ladder wagon, and a shed, rented from Jesse Stevenson until the later part of 1911 was used to house the equipment. The bell at the Methodist church was used as an alarm.
The town’s government at the time purchased land from Repp and built a two-story facility, storing equipment on the lower floor and with a meeting room on the top floor.
New Windsor was served with this fire equipment for nearly four decades, receiving assistance from nearby companies until 1948, when the need for a motorized fire truck was recognized. A meeting was held in January of that year, and the company was reorganized, with 73 people admitted to membership, according to a history posted on the company’s website by Marcell Munshaur.
A 1948 International chassis with an 89 horsepower engine was ordered in May 1948, and sent to Elmira, N.Y., where an American LaFrance 500 gallon per minute pump was installed along with a 300-gallon water tank. The cost was $17,000. The engine arrived in December. One of its first jobs? Driving Santa Claus into town for the children to meet.
A lot near town hall was donated, and an adjoining lot was purchased for when the company was financially able to build a new fire house.
The company’s first carnival fundraiser was held in June 1948, netting $4,153.29. For the first five years, the carnival was held on Hibberd’s fields near town, and then moved to the school grounds after.
The following year, New Windsor was admitted to the Carroll County Firemen’s Association, becoming Carroll Company 10.
Ground was broken on a new fire house in early 1954, and the new building was dedicated Aug. 21, 1955. A second engine was delivered in 1958, an American LaFrance open cab, at a cost of $24,750. A third engine was purchased in 1966 for $22,190.
In 1969, 22 lots were purchased from six owners, with another eight lots donated, for what is today the carnival grounds.
Celebrating its 25th anniversary in 1973, the company honored charter members by making them life member of the New Windsor fire company.
It was in 1982 that the company voted to purchase its first ambulance, and did so with financial support from the community at a cost of $38,469 for the vehicle and another $20,000 for the equipment. On March 18, 1983, ambulance 109 was put in service.
Within five years, the number of advance life support calls had increased in and around New Windsor, prompting the company to apply for and receive ALS ambulance status on May 1, 1988. The purchase of a Life Pak 5 monitor and other equipment brought the company to Medic status. The original ambulance was replaced in June 1990.
Throughout the 1990s, the company continued to upgrade its engines and other apparatus. As the new century began, the Board of Education turned over the grounds of the old middle school property to county government, which transferred it to the Town of New Windsor and finally, to the fire company in 2003 to build a new fire hall. A capital campaign titled “Answering the Call” began to help fund the project.
A dedication for the new building was held in September 2005, including tours of the building and a parade, and the old fire hall was settled in December 2005.